Thread: Biostar M7VIK mobo (bios-fdd-fasttrak controller)help...

Biostar M7VIK mobo (bios-fdd-fasttrak controller)help...

hey everyone, whats shakin? nm here, just trying to help my buddy with his pc, having some issues, now I am not even sure if the CPU is compatible...? Here's what it is....
    Biostar M7VIK ver. 1.0, w/ socket A 462 AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (AXDA2100DUT3C); now I found this...
    here is compat list...M7VIK cpu compatibility
    M7VIK
    VIA KT400
    Socket A
    AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (333MHz)
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (266MHz)
    AMD Athlon 1.4GHz
    AMD Duron 1.3GHz

I dont see the installed cpu on this list...is it supported? I am waiting on reply from Biostar, so far they dont know shit! lol

All settings seem fine, 'cept I try to boot and it says,
    No fasttrak (promise) then says BIOS Not installed, then nuthin! I will post pics in the morning(i have shots of what the screen says) (i also get a FDD not attached error)

help plz!

Google is your friend ... lol searched this string through google and this is just one of the posts I found on the subject. Not sure if it pertains to your situation, but check it out. And also, search the same search string in google for more. It may eventually pay off.

Search string = Biostar post issue No fasttrak (promise) BIOS not installed

The Promise PDC20378 chip used on many motherboards will emit the following message when it is in RAID mode, but after a 7-second scan, it finds that no hard drives are attached to any of its ports. The chip supports 2 SATA ports (often labelled "SATA_RAID1" and "SATA_RAID2", and also one IDE port (often labelled "PRI_RAID&#34.

FastTrak 378 (tm) BIOS Version 1.00.1.34
    (c)2002-2005 Promise Technology, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Scanning IDE drives.......

No drive attached to FastTrak controller, The BIOS is not installed.

The message is an informational warning only. It may be ignored. Its purpose is to tell you that in case you thought you did attach drive(s) to any of these ports, they aren't being seen.

A different message format appears if the chip is set to IDE mode in the BIOS, but the meaning is the same.

If you do not want to see this message, either attach a hard drive to one of the ports, or go into your BIOS Setup utility and set your Onboard Promise Controller to "Disabled".

-clintfan
    As for the FDD error ... is a FDD connected?

Maybe some others on here may know more on this particular subject.

Good luck

Sweet! I will look at that search today...I am still learning about the "types" of searches on Google etc. (Boolean etc.)

here's some screen shots...

later i will add some of the FDD error screen (within the BIOS flash)
    I have tried 3 diff. FDD's to no avail, switched the cables numerous times, nuthin.

now, bout the cpu, i see this
    AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (333MHz)
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (266MHz)

the one installed is a 2100+ (maybe not compat?) i have email biostar, i still wait.

this is where i am getting the driversBIOSTAR M7VIK

umm, i know i am missing something, will post more thoughts later
    thnx guys (n gals)

Well I can tell you right off ... one big issue the missing NTLDR is telling you that the OS boot record has issues. These issues can vary, sometimes they are simple to fix sometimes not so easy and you loose your OS.

From what it sounds like so far is that, your friend has tried to install a new motherboard with the existing OS on the HDD? Sometimes you can do that, I have in the past done just that. However, sometimes like now with your issue it throws a lot of errors, generally because of driver issues of the new motherboard and the left over drivers from the previous one. 8O Can your friend loose the info on the HDD? In other words can he not just reformat the HDD and reinstall a new OS? If the answer is no, then the hunt for the correct fix for the missing NTLDR fix etc begins. Again Google Lots of times a simple boot disk can work wonders

Be sure to make sure of your boot order in the bios, and that your not trying to boot from a source that is not there. On the older systems like this, usually it goes 1st = FDD, 2nd = CD, 3rd = HDD

Also, it is my understanding that most of the times the second image you posted ... that warning can just be ignored. However, the NTLDR can not .... without it you do not boot. 8O So, get the NTLDR fixed first.

r3dr you may want to check here on your NTLDR issue to see if it might offer some insight for a solution or at least explain better what might be happening
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

awesome guyz! thanks, i did some reasearching at the links above, not sure exactly what i did that fixed it (i did try a 2nd hdd and swapped the ide cables around) finally got the OS to install. Thanks again
    now i can get this pc outta my garage and back to my bro! I will post a couple pics of this PC later, nuthin super special, but a pretty cool "non-mod" case...

Cool, glad it worked out.

Excellent r3dr, the who part doesn't matter lol, it's the how part. Those come in handy for future references trust me. Hopefully you won't have to deal with it again though.

Thread Information