Thread: Shouldn't this work? Thermaltake TR2 RX 550W

Shouldn't this work? Thermaltake TR2 RX 550W

Got a basic question for anyone. Even without a mobo, shouldn't I be able to connect the fans (w/LEDs) to the PSU and be able to run them? There are 3 speed switches connected to the fans as well but I assumed they would operate independently of any controllers. Am I wrong here?

The PSU is a Thermaltake TR2 RX 550W. When I plug it in I get the amber colored light only. When I switch on the power switch it stays amber. Please tell me there's nothing wrong.

So, the PSU powers up all the way but you fans don't? or they only emit a faint light is that what your saying here?

When the PSU is plugged in (power cord) the light emits an amber or weak orange color, I turn on the power switch and it remains the same color instead of turning green. Even with the fans connected there is no activity(lights or fans turning at all). Shouldn't they be able to run as long as there is power without a mobo?

Most newer PSU's won't power up unless there is a significant load. The PSU probably isn't powering up all the way and that's the reason.

Do you have another computer to plug it into to test out your fan. That or another less powerful or older PSU.

Whew thank goodness, I thought the last build attempt may have done something to it. I'll test the fans with an older 250W unit. I wasn't worried so much about the fans which I'm pretty sure, I was curious as to why the PSU wasn't supplying power or at least enough power. Thanks Sheldog

edit: are working.

Thread Information