Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making Extra Room

Making Extra Room

I was wondering on how I can make my case taller so I can have more space for wires and things that are getting in the way, maybe put my psu in that space. I saw this sick rig but I don't need the cooler, I just need that extra space at the bottom, how do I do this?

Making Extra Room

I think you can buy those bottom sections somewhere. They are for phase change coolers if I remember correctly. You might find those for sale by themselves somewhere.

As far as building one there are several ways you can go about it. If you truly just want to add a bottom section to your existing case. You could strip your case and then get some small aluminum angle and build onto it, then get some sheets of aluminum and add to it. Or use the angle and build an independent bottom section and do the same thing.

You can also find a Cheap Case that is similar in size as yours and hack it up to half the size.

You could just build your own case and make it taller. Use pieces from your old case to fill it in.

The variety of solutions are really endless. What resources do you have available and what do you feel comfortable doing?

Making Extra Room

Knowing the specific case your using might also help the guys suggest the best solution.

Making Extra Room

If I can buy just that part like you mentioned, it would be great. Here is a pic of what kind of case I have. It's a NZXT Trinity.

Making Extra Room

Not sure who all sells the lower kits like that for a phase change.

Example: http://www.crazypc.com/products/9273SV.html

They are a bit pricey. I would be more likely the type to buy a second case and cut it in half, fab up a joint to the original case and so forth.

Making Extra Room

$200.00?!?!?! wow... way to much for that piece. Does anybody know where I can find a place that would sell aluminum parts so I can maybe build it myself?

Making Extra Room

lowes.home depot and stores like that

Making Extra Room

thanks, will look into it. I just tried to clear out all the ugly wiring out of my pc for the third time and still no luck. I get REALLY frustrated trying to even do it. I do not have any space for the extra wires from the psu and this is why I want this extra piece because all this wiring is beginning to stress me out.... ugh. How do you guys do it? I have no room in the back panel and if I do stuff all the extra wires it's really hard to screw in the back panel back without a big lump on it.... pissing me off.... this case needs extra space.

Making Extra Room

That is why I prefer the modular power supplies, you only connect the ones you need.

In your case, I would probably move the optical drive down to the 2nd or 3rd spot from the top and use the 1 or 2 bays there to tie all they extra wires up.

Making Extra Room

I would suggest drilling/cutting some holes in the motherboard tray and routing your cables behind it. Like make a hole up by the psu for the cables to feed into, then make one inside/near the hd bays for them to come out of. Just make an access point wherever you need a hole (p1, gfx, front panel junk, hd's, opty's), and feed the needed cables out through it. Make sure that you either file the hole and/or apply some u-channel. About the u-channel: cut it longer than you think that you need to. It gets short fast. It might even be a good idea to cut the holes where they'll be covered by the motherboard tray, so you don't have to look at the holes. The p1 connector might have a hard time making it out from under the mobo, so you could cut the sleeving and let the wires go through without being in a bundle. You'd have to at least rubber band the cut ends of the sleeving to keep them from coming totally undone. Ideally you'd use heatshrink. You could also hide unused cables behind the mobo tray. If you're also looking for a bigger case in general, I recommend poking around pc recycle shops and thrift stores for a big 'ol server tower. You can make a window, transfer the lcd screen from the old case, and paint it. Those are my suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information