Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TiTON's 2008 Razer Case Mod Contest Entry

TiTON's 2008 Razer Case Mod Contest Entry

Hey Folks,

I wanted to share with everyone my recent modding project for Razer’s Case Modding Contest. Below is a quick description of the contest:

Excerpt from Razer (http://ftw.razerzone.com/razercasemod/):

“Bruce Maley, Ton Khowdee, and Dewayne Carel are 3 Professional Modders in the US. They will face each other in the Razer Case Modding Contest to win $1000 and 5 Mice. They were given a SilverStone TJ10 ESA Case, The Razer Lachesis, The Razer Lycosa, The Razer Destructor, and The Razer Piranha to Mod. They have only 1 month and a half to finish and a limited budge of $500 modding materials. There are no limitation to what they can do to the case but it needs to represent their interpretation of Razer Brand.”

So lets start!!

Here are some pics of the brand new parts provided in the stock / unmodded state:

The Huge and Gorgeous SilverStone TJ10 ESA

The Lycosa mice and Destructor Gaming Pad

The Phirana gaming head set

The Lycosa keyboard

Check out the stock mirror finish:

The two greatest hurdles in this contest were the time, and the other modders. Having their cases shown in public at PAX08 in Seattle, as well as a chance to win $1000 cash prize. Razer did a great job and picked two seasoned modders that has some great case mods for me to compete with. To make something that would be in Dewayne and Bruce's caliber, and to make it a short amount of time would be a huge challenge. But everyone loves a challenge

More on the way

- Ton

I saw your finished product Ton on the website. The skill level in all 3 builds was exceptional and took me quite a while to make a decision. Congratulations on all 3 for building some really superb mods.

I saw your finished product Ton on the website. The skill level in all 3 builds was exceptional and took me quite a while to make a decision. Congratulations on all 3 for building some really superb mods.
    Yup.. all 3 cases came out very different. 3 totally different styles and approaches. Each has its own unique traits and attribute. Give modders a blank canvas, and the out comes all different and great

Best of luck to AF and CBB

- Ton

Now that we got the parts, time to take everything apart, and get it ready to prime.

Here is a pic of the side panel, with its large window and hard drive vent:

Here is a pic of the frame with most of the panels removed:

Here is a pic of the mouse being disassembled. Before I completely gut the mouse, I had to make sure to check the voltage of the Blue LED for the swap out later on:

I couldn’t figure out how to take the headphones apart without breaking it. So it was just masked and protected with plastic bags:

Here is a picture of the right panel after it has been sanded, and ready to be primed. A nice dull finish.

Here is a picture of the keyboard after it was sanded. The grit I used was too rough for the plastic surface, look at all the deep gouges:

Sanded it again with higher grit, and it came out fine:

Here is a pic of the most of the parts after it has been primed and dried:

More to Come.

Ton

Awesomeness. Another Razer mod log!

Now with the parts disassembled and primed, it is time to PAINT I really wanted to color and paint to stand out for this project. Instead of using rattle can paint, I decided to go with my favorite, Automotive Paint

Here is a picture of the Silver Metallic Base coat in the cup. Automotive paint may cost more, but it goes a LONG way. This isn’t ready to spray paint. I had to mix the paint with reducer to get it to the proper consistency:

Here is a picture of the keyboard frame after it has been painted and dried. You can see the sparkle from the metallic flakes.

Here is the picture of the bottom panel. Look how smooth the paint lays and the even coverage

After the paint dried on the right panel, I applied a paint mask that says, “Nexus of Dominion”. This is the motto Razer uses for their Lyocsa gaming keyboard.

Here is a quick picture of the Lime Green Candy paint after being mixed. This mixture consist of Clear mix, Clear hardener, and Lime Green Candy concentrate to provide the color. The Candy color is basically a tinted clear coat, which allows for great flexibility.

Here is a picture of some of the smaller parts drying after being painted.

Here is a nice close-up of the keyboard after being painted Lime Green Candy. Look at the depth, sparkle, and pop of the paint in the sunlight.

More modding updates to come soon!!

- Ton

Great work on the Project

I love the Plexi Work 8O

Hey T2,

Thanks for the compliment The plexi post shoudl be coming up soon. Got a few more things to show 1st So stay tuned.

Ton

I wanted to do a quick post.

For the Lachesis mouse, I wanted to tie the lights to match the (5) 120mm Green Fans in the TJ10 case. The light in this mouse is blue by default. The mouse uses 2 LED to light up the palm razer logo and the scroll wheel.

Here is a pic of the stock blue led:

I went to my friend Brian at ModdersMart and got a 3mm Green LED and 1.8mm LED.

Here is a pic of the new clear Green 3mm LED. You can see it is a little taller then original, but it will still fit just fine:

This is no optical illusion or camera trick. The 1.8mm LED is just that darn small.

After everything was resolder, it was time to plug in the mouse and hope it all worked :P Here is a pic of the 1.8mm LED in action.

Here are some pics of the mouse reassembled, and the new palm and scroll wheel lights:

Thanks for checking out this update. Another update will be posted soon.

- Ton

What a difference. Blue is my favorite color but the green shows so much more of the detail and it's brighter too.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information