Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Log: EVGA FTW Edition Case Mod

Project Log: EVGA FTW Edition Case Mod

Hey Guys.

I wanted to take this opportunity to share a recent case modding I did for my buddies at EVGA.

I was talking to EVGA one afternoon and they wanted to display a cool case mod in their booth, and ask what I could do. Let me mention, this conversation happen with less then 14 days before NVISION2008. I was still in the middle of my Razer Case Mod for PAX08 and building the Sapper for my TF2 Case mod to enter at NVISION case mod contest.

With very limited time, I could not do a full blown case mod, but I promised I will give them something that looked GREAT and truly stand out as an EVGA case mod.

So with that, lets start the project.

For this project, I used the Black SilverStone TJ10. I really like working with SilverStone cases. They are just built to well and very solid.

Here is the picture of the case.

Luckily this is the same chassis I used in the Razer Case Mod Contest. So I knew how to take it apart

Here is a quick pick of the top header sanded and ready to prime.

Here is a pic of the front doors primed

Just like the Razer Case Mod, I am applying a basecoat of Metallic Silver automotive paint. Here is the paint as its being reduced.

Here is the one of the front panel after a nice even coat of silver base paint. I really love how the metallic flakes just pop in the sunlight.

Thanks for checking out this project. Another update will be posted soon.

-Ton

Looks very similar to the beginnings to the Razer mod and that one rocked so I'm hoping for more of the same here.

Should be cool .... I just installed an EVGA GTX 260 FTW Edition Video Card in my rig, awesome card.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the quick reply. The reason I did an EVGA mods is I really like teh company and the folks that work there. I really wish I had more time for this case mod. The will be a primarily "Painted" case. With less then 2 weeks, it was impossible to line any sort of HEAVY modding in

But I think everyone will enjoy the final outcome

Ton

I know I am looking forward to it.

I love seeing what people can do to a case in such a short time.

Kind of a couple week night and day effect, I love it.

Time for the second post

Now that the silver base coat has dried, time to add some paint masks.

On the right panel, I added a very simple and stylish “Arrow” paint mask. The mask will keep that area the nice shiny metallic silver paint protected, as well as split the top and bottom half of the panel.

After the mask was applied, then sprayed Midnight Black Candy paint over the silver base. The Candy is a tinted clear coat, so the metallic flakes sparkle through the paint. Here is the panel after a 1st coat of paint. Ingore the area where the paint is light. I took a picture before I refilled my paint gun.

Once the Mightnight Black Candy paint dried, then applied another set of paint mask. On the left panel, I applied the company motto “EVGA | Intelligent Innovation”.

On the right panel, I applied a huge paint mask with EVGA. In addition, I masked the bottom of portion of the arrow. This will keep all the black portion nice and safe

After all the masking was applied, I went and hit the entire case with silver metallic base paint again.

You may be thinking, “What the heck is going ON?!?!?!” Wait till the next post, and everything should become clear

Till Then.

- Ton

Master Modder

looking real sweet keep it up

Great paint and masking work. That midnight black candy paint looks really nice. To bad it looks like you painted over it in the last pic. Interested to see where you're going.

Great paint and masking work. That midnight black candy paint looks really nice. To bad it looks like you painted over it in the last pic. Interested to see where you're going.
    Hey Sheldog23. Not to worry.. its just my masking looks messy. Everything came out well. Check it out in the next post

Ton

Hey Everyone,

Its time for another post!!

Here are some pieces of the front panel. The center of these panels were painted midnight black candy. After the candy had dried, we protected the area by masking it again, and left the outer edges exposed to be painted.

Now that all the parts have been masked, it was time to make a new batch of candy paint to spray. This time I mixed True Gold Candy Paint. It was pretty much a deep orange candy color.

Here is the right panel resting after it had been spayed with approximately 4 light coats of candy.

Here is the front panel piece after it has been sprayed with approximately 8 coats of candy. Look at how “Wet” and “Deep” the paint looks. Just to let you know, this piece is completely dry.

After the paint had dry, now is the EXCITING part. Taking off the paint mask to see how everything came out. Here is a picture of the “V” in EVGA being removed. You can see the masking area was completely protected, and the edges are clean and clearly defined.

Here is a close up of the EVGA text. Remember that the black you see is not a sticker. It is the Midnight Black Candy paint.

Now.. after all the paint mask has been removed, here is a great shot of the right panel. You can see the 3 distinct paint colors I put on the panel. You have the silver metallic base for the arrow, the Midnight Black Candy for the bottom portion, as well as the EVGA text, and the True Gold Candy covering the upper half. The “FTW Edition” is actually glossy white vinyl sticker.

Here is a picture of the front panel door. I applied the “MODS RIG” sticker.

Here is the left panel. You can see the “EVGA | Intelligent Innovation” came out clearly defined. I also added the “MODS RIG” sticker to the right panel, and then sprayed over it with a couple of coat of Clear.

Ok.. next update you will see everything together, and the case mod in the WILD!!

Thanks again for check out my project.

- Ton

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information