Thread: BIOS Mods

BIOS Mods

Does anyone here know how to do BIOS mods?

What I'm specifically looking for is a way to make my Alienware Area 51 m7700 laptop run a Core 2 Duo processor instead of the P4 HT 3.0GHz processor its got. I have read on the Internet somewhere that some motherboard manufacturers released updates for their boards' BIOS to support the new processors. However, the manufacturers of this laptop's board (Clevo) seem to have discontinued it. The board is a Clevo D900T, if anyone's interested. If anyone has any ideas or know-how, please do tell.

Clear Coat

BIOS Mods

I think you are short 300 or so physical interconnects... The sockets are incompatible. The P4 processors are all socket 478 or lower.... the Core2Duos are all 775...

I think you are pretty much SOL.

BIOS Mods

I've heard of BIOS editors for video cards but none for Mobo's I'm sure it could be done but it's got to be more complicated. I know it's pretty easy to brick a video card too. I'm too chicken for that sort of thing.

BIOS Mods

Thanks for the replies, my processor is an LGA775 socket one, that's why I've come here - I'm not a complete noob, man

For reasons unknown, the laptop does NOT start when a Core 2 Duo/Quad processor are inserted.
    I don't see any reason why the hardware won't support a newer processor, since an HT processor is a Dual Core processor as far as the system is concerned. All I can think of is that there's a block in the BIOS, so it would be much appreciated if a BIOS modder could help me

Thanks again

Clear Coat

BIOS Mods

oops... sorry. I didn't think they made P4 in 775 *shrug* need to do better research next time.

Thread Information