Thread: First Post here... Problems with Ultra ChillTec please help.

First Post here... Problems with Ultra ChillTec please help.

Hello Everyone,

I am new here, this is my first post.

I am in the process of building my first high end (as high as my budget and wife allows)rig anyway! I am having trouble with my Ultra Chill Tec.

I bought the unit off ebay supposedly new/never used but opened. First mistake!
    Upon opening the package everything looked new and intact. The plastic was still on the controller screen and the blue protective film on the plate that comes in contact with the cpu. I set it aside and continued collecting parts for the build.

Well to make a long story short, there were a couple wires that came out of the connector on the chilltec itself.

So I called up Ultra to ask for the correct wire color order for the plug. I was told the order was...
    none,none,none,white,black,red,yellow,red,black,bl ack.

Today I got everything on my system hooked up (except internal media card reader) to test if the system is working. This is when I found out that there is something wrong with the chill tec!

The fan on the cooler works, the led on the fan lights up blue. The controler lights up red and just beeps and beeps.

I was hoping someone here would either someone here that actually knew, "tazz" perhaps as he did a review of this cooler and mentioned a red color mod. Or someone will be kind enough to take a upclose pic of their chilltec plug so that I may see the proper order of wires

If anybody can be of any help to me I will be very grateful. If I must send it a back to Ultra I will, but it is a pain to remove and install from the system and I think it wil only be for a minor fix.

If anyone is interested here is this system I am putting together...

Case-Thermal Take Armour Series Full Tower with all led fans and upgraded side with huge led intake fan .
    CPU-AMD Phenom Quad 9950 Black Edition
    MB-MSI K9A2 Platinum
    Ram-8gb pc-8500 Corsair Dominator w/fan
    GPU's- 2 Diamiond Radeon 1gb 4870's
    HD-2 1.5tb Seagate Barracudda 11.1 w/ 32mb cache ( I will eventually get two wd velociraptors for the OS)
    Optical-CD/DVD DL burner with lightscribe
    Ultra internal media card reader/esata usb hub

I will be running XP64

Please help if you can. I want to get this system running already!

Thanks,
    Jason

Well to make a long story short, there were a couple wires that came out of the connector on the chilltec itself.
    The connector that is attached to the chill tec? or the connector on the extension?

Hello tazz,

Thanks for replying.

The black plug on the chilltec itself.

Jason

Above is the best shots I have of both halves of the plug on the chill tec. Unfortunately, I no longer have it or I could take some new ones.

I have one...somewhere....lol...let me know if you need more images or info.

I called Ultra and was greeted by a snotty man. He gave me a different wire color order than the first rep. Wouldn't tell me what wires ran from the peltier part of the cooler. Told me to buy a new one as Ultra doesn't repair stuff like this.

I think the factory in China or where ever the ChillTec's are made they use what ever color wire is available to them at the time.

tazz,the plug you show in the pic has a diff wire color pattern (and less wires) than the two Ultra rep's reportd to me, plus a couple more pics I have found on the web. At least four different patterns in all.

It is a simple machine. The fan works on my cooler, the control unit works also. There can be one of two problems the wires coming from the TEC part of the cooler are not correctly wired or the TEC is broken. I was under the impression that the TEC is nothing more than 2 diff kinds of metal sandwiched together with wires to apply current in between. Am I mistaken.

What I think I need to see is what color wires come from where on the tek to where it goes in the black plug. Espescially the wires that are coming from between the two plates.

American Freak if you can post pics of the black plugs and where each group of wires go to on the cooler side that would be great.

I want to get my system up and running so I just bought another one from a repuatable seller, with a warranty this time. It may help me get the first one working as well by looking at the wiring.

It is a bummer, but a lesson learned don't buy computer parts from individuals on ebay!

Thanks guy's,
    Jason

PS-Sorry about the spelling for some reason I can't log in with Firefox so I have to use IE7 with no spellchecker.

Looking at my image, the plug on the right is the one attached to the Cooler.

The first three wires (Black, Red, Blue - Top of the plug in the picture) are connected to the fan. The next three wires (Red, Black, White) go to the lower sensor plate - the plate that actually comes in contact with the CPU heatspreader. There should also be a Red and Black wire (larger) that goes to the TEC itself which uses the 2 pole clear plug. Freaks setup should be identical to my images seeing that it was in production at the same time mine was. I actually reviewed the one he has, and the one I used in my rig was a 2nd sample.

If there are differences between what I show and what you have, there has to have been another revision of the coolers. Let him make sure though. You can also look at the MAC TECs, I am pretty sure thats who OEMs these coolers for Ultra.

thanks tazz for all your help!

The wiring on my black plug is as follows white,black,red,yellow,red,black,black. Before the white there are 3 empty holes in the plug.

I have no blue wire. I think it is black on mine, 2 black instead of the black and blue as the one in your pics . I have an extra yellow wire that the one in your pic is lacking and I am not speaking of the cpu fan wire.

I asked the rep if they have had revisions on the Chilltec. He said no, but he also told me that I needed to set the high/ low temp so the alarm wouldn't go off. Didn't even know "his" product.

when I first went to install the chilltec a red wire fell out of the hole. I noticed that the white wire (the red and white wire had one wire between them) was loose and not clipped in like it should of been also. That is when I called ultra.

I wonder if the guy who sold it to me hooked it up with the red and white wire reversed and damaged it? Or perhaps the red wire did belong where it fell from to begin with?

I hope with your info here and the new one that should be on my door step in a couple of days I may be able to fix the one that isn't working properly. I pleade that the new one is trouble free and keeps my AMD 9950 black edition cool enough to oc it to 3.0ghz.

Oh should the unit should read it's own temp if it is hooked up to power even if it isn't on a cpu chip?

Thanks,
    Jason

You should see a reading of around 20 - 25C if its powered without being on a CPU. It wont cycle of course like it would on a heated CPU.

Probably too late but here are my images

Thread Information