Thread: How to Get Your Windows 7 Beta 1 on Friday

How to Get Your Windows 7 Beta 1 on Friday

Excellent article here:

http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/01/how-to-get-your.html

Windows 7 Beta 1 will be made available for a limited time during the day on January 9, 2009.

Visit the Windows 7 page on Microsoft's website for the link. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/

It will only be made available to the first 2.5 million people to download the code. Demand will be huge, so prepare to act quickly.

Microsoft has not announced a specific time on Friday for the release, but we can expect it will be later in the day so the west coast of North America isn't left out.

Windows 7 Beta 1 will be offered as an ISO image. It's around 2.5 or 3 gigabytes, so you will need a DVD burner if you want to install it.

You will be required to register before downloading so Microsoft can give you a product key.

It will be build 7000.

The beta will only support Windows Vista SP1 to Windows 7 upgrades. If you're not running Vista SP1 right now, upgrade before you try to install the Windows 7 beta.

There is also a clean install option
    for the Win7 beta.

There is no upgrade path from XP.

There's only one version of the beta, which Microsoft says "is roughly equivalent the Ultimate edition of Windows Vista."

The Windows 7 Beta will expire on August 1. You will probably be forced to go back to using Vista SP1 on August 1 (or maybe upgrade to Win7 Beta 2?).

English, German, Japanese, Arabic, and Hindi versions will be available Friday.

Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions will be available (except for Hindi, which only gets a 32-bit version).

If you're upgrading, remember to back up your PC
    . It's a beta, stupid!

go...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205.aspx

"Server too Busy" !!!!!

ya, I've been trying for hours. I'm going to give up for a while. Maybe sat morning early I'll give it a go and see if they have any left.

Here are direct links to MS downloading. I don't know about your key but at least you can try it out here. I guess somehow you can register later for a key. I dunno.

32bit version

64 bit version

Cool!!!

Thanks.

ps. been a little while, but i'm back now.

welcome back. Did anyone manage to get the key? I think they shut down the servers and only gave out a few. I read somewhere that they are going to beef them up and try again.

oh yeah, from the link above.

Thanks for your interest in the Windows 7 Beta. The volume has been phenomenal -- we’re in the process of adding more servers to handle the demand. We’re sorry for the delay and we’ll re-post the Beta as soon as we can ensure a quality download experience.

Alright folks. If you downloaded the ISO from the above links there are instructions on how to key a legitimate key here without having to wait for microsoft.

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/01/10/psstheres-how-to-get-your-windows-7-beta-key

FYI: you need to have signed into windows live in the top right corner first.

Master Modder

thanks

Alright folks. If you downloaded the ISO from the above links there are instructions on how to key a legitimate key here without having to wait for microsoft.

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/01/10/psstheres-how-to-get-your-windows-7-beta-key

FYI: you need to have signed into windows live in the top right corner first.
    Worked for my like a charm! 8-)

Thread Information