Thread: I want more glow stuff in my pc, can I mod this?

I want more glow stuff in my pc, can I mod this?

I want more glow stuff in my pc, my question is can I mod this lighting tube for use in my pc. Is it possible to remove the lighter charger and replace it with a molex adapter? link to lighting tube: 13QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it is 12v same as other lights made for the pc...

You probably could. Depending on if the Lighter adapter has some kind of resistor in it or not. Most EL wire runs of less than 12v I think. You could just get EL wire elsewhere like or something. If you need that long of length there is a site that sells EL wire in long lengths like that with a PC adapter but I can't remember the name off hand. It's been years since I looked for that stuff.

However. EL wire isn't all that great. It's not really as bright as you would think and fades really quickly. What's the inside of your case look like now maybe we could give you some suggestions.

(edit) maybe

I would think so but it would be nice to see some more info on the setup. Like how is the inverter wire and what it the amps or wattage. Shel is right it is not that bright, but if that is the effect you are looking for then got for it.

I'm getting a case, possibly this one

Since it's open on 2 sides I want to light it up real good, I have uv cables and black light. What else should I put? Not much room for a killer cpu heatsink/fan. hmmm

Also if you know of a better lanbox with windows on 2 or more sides I'm interested.

Gateway GT5654
    ECS MCP61PM-AM Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600 2.9GHz 65w
    SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 3870 512MB GDDR4
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Antec earthwatts 430W 80 PLUS Certified 34A/12v rail
    Seagate Barracuda 400GB Sata Hard Drive
    Western Digital Slave 350GB IDE
    Samsung 4GB DDR2 667 Dual-Channel (4/1GB)
    Sony Optiarc LabelFlash DVD-RW
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit

for a lanbox that one it pretty nice and you best bet would be the glow wire as there is just about zero extra space in those things.

If your going UV there are certainly plenty of options like UV fans and cables or UV sleeving . That usually gives a really good effect. Another thing you can do to help is paint the inside black and that will help the UV stuff show up better. I've also seen people paint the tops of heatsinks and misc areas of the inside with UV (neon) markers or uv paint.

I think if you look around you will find plenty of stuff to put in there and light it up. A couple of UV fans and Cathodes and it will light up like a christmas tree.

I would say pick a color and stick too it (UV red, blue, or green). Add to many and they usually look
    goofy. One maybe two at most. There is also the option of UV plexi if your really feeling ambitious.

also look around the case mod gallery and worklogs. Find some good UV cases for
    inspiration and find what you like and don't. See what works and what you'd like to try.

hope that helps.

Thread Information