Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cash Box

Master Modder

Cash Box

Howdy all, took the invite to come here, so I'll share with you my mod of a Casio cash register. Found this in a pile of trash and it was gutted of it's circuit boards and printing mechs. Still had the displays.

To start this project I'm using a Asus A7V133 mobo for mockup, but will be using a A7V233 when I get it back from my brother. I first had to make sure there was room for the mobo under the hood of the unit. Then I had to mark out the mounting holes and drill and tap for the standoffs.

Once I got that done I placed the hood on and found that it was laying on top of items mounted on the mobo. So I had to remove plastic to clear the items on the mobo.

Then I had to cut a slot into the base of the register for the PCI cards to slip into. This was done by mounting the mobo and marking a line down the side of the mobo and using a rotary to w/flex shaft (eye protection here) to cut a slot into the base.

I'll get back later to get you caught up to where I'm at with this project. Let me know what you think and please any suggestion that you might have to help bring this beast to life.

Cash Box

Looking good. You planning to make the keypads functional?

Master Modder

Cash Box

To Tass, yes, to a certain degree. Part of the keypad will be sacrificed for air intake. Now back to where I left off. The optical drive is to be located in the cash drawer, so that meant that I needed a way of mounting the drive and cutting the opening for the tray. I had been given some aluminum alloy bars from a friend and these came in handy just for this purpose. They needed holes drilled, countersunk and tapped for the bottom of the optical drive.

Once that was done, they were mounted and placed into the drawer to mark the mounting holes and then trace around the face plate of the tray to cut out the opening for the tray, headphones and volume control. After tracing the face plate out I drilled 4 holes in the corners and then cut the rest with a jig saw (again eye protection). I did the cut just short of the line and then used a file to take it the rest of the way.

Now I didn't cut an opening for the tray button because I wanted a key on the keypad to open the drive. This required to open the optical drive and locate the tray button and remove it. This I did by grabbing with a pair of pliers and twisted it out. This left small pieces of the switch in the holes which I removed by using a soldering iron and melted the solder and pulled the pieces out when they were released from the solder. This left clean holes with just a small amount of solder behind. I then tinned the ends of my new wire (I used speaker wire because it remained in one piece) and inserted the ends into the now vacant holes and touch each wire with the soldering iron which melted the solder from the holes and wire together.

The other end of the wire will be hooked to a key from the register's keypad. I'm going to take a break from the computer and do some more work on the Cash Box.

Master Modder

Cash Box

Okay, back to where I was. I'm almost caught up and will be after this post. After I got the wiring done on the optical drive it had to be reassembled.

From there I started sanding the body of the register to get it ready for bondo. I have been doing this chore now for 3 days. I have 95% done, just small areas that are still needing work.

After I got this far, how do you think it's going.

Cash Box

Not a mod for me but I have to admire what your doing and the unusual item you choose to mod em3bilko but at the same time looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Master Modder

Cash Box

Thanks for the comment dicksplash. Have been doing alittle more work on the face of the cash drawer. I wanted a floppy drive also due to that I keep addresses, bookmarks and the like on floppy's for all computers in the house and sometimes it goes quicker for reboots with a floppy. Back to the drawer. I placed spacers under the floppy drive so that I could mark out the location and get the right height. Once that was done I took the face off of the floppy drive to trace out the opening for the exit and eject button. (Safety glasses at this point) Once that was done I drilled out a hole with a small drill so that I could get a small jewelers file into it and then filed the opening out. This was time consuming. Once I got the openings the way that I wanted then I made some standoffs from acrylic lids from some tubes that my wife brought home from work. The lids were an inch long but I needed only 13/16" so the tops were removed and filed down to the specs that I needed. Here are a couple of pics of the face of the drawer and the standoffs.

Hope someone can give me some ideas on what to do with the small hole between the 2 drives. A USB port has been mentioned. Any other ideas? Thanks for looking.

Cash Box

i think it would be neat with a cd drive for the little drawer that pops out, working keys, and a matrix lcd as the little screen that normally tells you your price

but i think this is a pretty interesting mod

Master Modder

Cash Box

Have been doing some searching in my junk box and have come up with a solution for the small hole in the middle of the drawer face. I'll install a electrical lock.

I have also been thinking about the way the floppy drive was looking. I didn't like it. So again into the junk box and found this adapter.

With this if I want to change out the floppy, I can put in another HDD in if I want with a grill for air circulation. Plus it gives me the USB that I was wanting.

Master Modder

Cash Box

A little more work has now gotten the faceplate of the floppy drive w/USB mated with the face of the cash drawer. I took the faceplate off of the adapter and placed it onto the back of the drawer face and traced around it. Since I already had the floppy slot in the drawer face it was a simple matter of taking the jig saw and open up the slot to the new tracing of the floppy w/USB holder. This procedure does require safety goggles, even though I wear glasses I still use goggles to give me the protection from the sides, top and bottom. Once I had the cutting close to the line then the rest was done by file. So here are some pics of how it turned out.
    Before:
    After:
    And alittle closer:
    Now this leaves the small hole in the middle for the electrical lock. Now onto mounting the HDD and PS. Will let you in on that when I get to it. Until then hope you have enjoyed it.

Master Modder

Cash Box

Okay, I'm back with some updates on the Cash Box. I started by making the mounting hardware for the floppy w/USB adapter. Using a stack of 2 of the alloy bars, I clamped them together and drilled thru both a hole at each end. Eye safety during this procedure. Then tapped only 1 bar at each end. This way I could bolt them together. I repeated this step once more so that I would have 2 mounts. Then I place the adapter plate w/out the floppy drive inplace, onto the mounts and marked out locations for 4 screw mounts from the plate to the mounts. Again eye protection and drilled out both the plate and mounts. Once the drilling was done I again tapped the mounts and screwed the plate onto the mounts. Once that was done I placed the assembly into the drawer and measured where I wanted the mounting screws from the bottom of the drawer and then drilled the holes into the drawer bottom. Once the holes where drilled in the drawer bottom I could mark the holes onto the mounting bars that were made prior. After I finished the floppy adapter I marked the holes for the mounting of the HDD. Using the mounting holes on the bottom of a old HDD drive I drilled out the holes in the bottom of the drawer and used rubber mountings to bring the HDD off of the floor of the drawer for air circulation and vibration damping. Here are some pics of the items that are to be in the drawer. They will be the only thing in it and the rest will be under the hood of the register, so the drawer is nearing the end for now.

Hope this part of the project perked some interest, I know that I have learned quite abit and had to do some research of the memory on how to do a few things. Let me know if there are some improvements that could be done or if I screwed something up. Thanks for looking.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information