Thread: No more Masking tape...need help

No more Masking tape...need help

Alright i decided to paint my G5. I picked out a sweet metalic flake charcoal-grey duplicolor paint, light grey primer, and a clear acrylic gloss coat. I've painted plastic before (mice, keyboards, and bezels) but all the jobs were ok...not great.

I want to do a great job. I've read everthing about painting on this site and it it really helpfull.

The problem is i want to do an 'apeture science' logo on my mouse. Needless to say the easiest thing to do is stencil it on.

Does anyone know the best material to make mask out of? I've used both blue and greem masking tape in the past and i never got a perfectly clean line.

Try some vinyl .

I have always had good luck with tape they call transfer tape. It is used when making signs with vinyl letters. I think you can get it at hobby stores.

would I get this vinyl? at like a Craft-store?

How wide is transfer tape?

Thanks alot! I can't wait to start Painting!

if you have teh logo and you go to a local sign shop and have them cut the logo out of vinyl that is what Tazz means. It's pretty sticky (like a decal) and will hold up to paint. Depending on how small you want it you should be just fine with that.

if you have teh logo and you go to a local sign shop and have them cut the logo out of vinyl that is what Tazz means. It's pretty sticky (like a decal) and will hold up to paint. Depending on how small you want it you should be just fine with that.
    Sweet! thanks so much!
    I cant wait to post some pics!!

so I asked my Graphic arts teacher; He painted his cars, wheels and is an art major so i figured he would know.

I also checked with three local sign shops and they were asking like $20 per mask.

My Graphics techer told me about something i would have never thought of: 1.5 inch electrical tape. Here's the logic:

1. Electrical tape stretches, and bends extremely easily, so applying a electrical tape mask to a very curvy mouse won't be a huge undertaking.

2. Electrical tape leaves a very-very clean line for small projects. He demonstrated this and i was shocked.

3. It's cheaper than painting-grade masking tape $2.50 a role at home depot

4. Suprisingly it doesn't remove the paint underneath it. I was sort of skeptical but i tried it and it appently doesn't strip the paint.

Any thoughts?

Sounds good. All you need is a pattern to cut and a steady hand.

Thread Information