Thread: Changing cases...

Changing cases...

Well, I decided that the computer I am running now is already excellent, and looking at it from a cost-effective point, it would be very inefficient to lay down 800+ dollars for a computer that is only slightly better. So, I'll run this one out until it is obsolete, then I'll build one from scratch. However, I am rebuiling my computer area and would definitely like to replace my dull case. How do I know my motherboard's layout is compatible with other cases? Is there anything else I should look out for?

Changing cases...

Welcome to MI Scryer

I'm sure someone is going to ask so I'll get it out of the way.
    What kind of system do you have Scryer? Brand/Model #/ etc.

The major form factors for motherboards are: Micro ATX, Full ATX, and Extended ATX.

Changing cases...

I have an HP, model number: RK573AA-ABA a1710n

I can't find anything anywhere in the specs that will tell me what kind of case I have. Maybe I have to find the manual? Long shot, I've had this case for around 3 years. I think it's on the small side if that helps, because it is simply bursting with all the big expensive hardware I've put in it, and it is kind of congested. Sorry to make you do all the work, though, I will look for the manual now...

EDIT: You can see a pic of it here:

Pretty dull. Maybe it's just me, but I hate it. By the way, peripherals have long since been upgraded, that mouse was the worst I have ever used in my entire life.

Changing cases...

Yah I have worked on/with those type before. The PSU is a proprietary one. Meaning it is not a standard size PSU and only fits those cases and likewise, you couldn't replace the PSU with on the market one because it wouldn't fit.

What you have for a case is called a MicroATX case. Smaller than a Mid tower. The A8M2N-LA is a proprietary motherboard that is used in the m7580n system by HP

Heres the manual for it. jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Product Specs: HP Pavilion a1710n Desktop PC id=reg_R1002_USEN

Motherboard Specs. uct=3239113&dlc=en&lang=en

Motherboard Pic:

If you need anything else on this, give me a shout.

Changing cases...

you couldn't replace the PSU with on the market one because it wouldn't fit.
    Some more info on the PS: A new power supply wouldn't fit in the case you have now, but a new one would fit into a new case. Just the same as your existing power supply wouldn't fit into a new case (well not without making a bracket or something).

I haven't messed with the HP's in awhile so I do not recall if the connections are the same, someone here might know though. It might connect with no problems or you could have to move some pins around.

Changing cases...

The pins I believe are the same, however they are only 20 pin connector and ATX12v1. Proprietary means it is smaller than a regular PSU and yes would not match up with mounting holes on a new case. Another thing to note, most HP PSU's are 350, 400, 425 watts.

If you are going to build on to your system, you will need a new PSU to power it.

Changing cases...

The only real problem you should run into is the mobo mounting. If the board is in fact a micro-ATX board, then it should work in any chassis that will support a micro atx board.

Proprietary, doesn't mean its just "smaller". It could be identical in design and size, but simply use a different pin-out on the connectors, which is common with some of the older HP's.

Changing cases...

...damn. I have never been a fan of forcing things to work until they fall apart, so I am not going to buy a micro case just to fit my mobo, and then find that it doesn't fit something else, and then find the micro power supply I was using can't power the system, etc. I am probably just going to dish out the money for a new case, PSU, mobo, and processor. It's what I had in mind in the beginning, anyway. From that view, would it just be easier to buy new memory and a new graphics card and just sell the completed computer I have now? My graphics card could use an upgrade from the gaming I do, Empire: Total War runs decently but I am in mind of getting two cutting edge cards so I can handle serious gaming.

Thread Information