Thread: Interesting.... no validation... did I miss something?

Interesting.... no validation... did I miss something?

Vista... when it first came out, I can remember the bitch fest that came with "reactivation" that ensued after people made upgrades to their machines. For some, a video card would pass, but swap the CPU, and those 2 changes would result in a locked OS and a "we need you to call us and re-validate your OS" from MS on the machine.

I remember that the CPU held a lot of weight and that it seemed that the MAC address on the NIC also held a ton.

Well... I just did maintainence on Deuce. I took out the AM2 Zotac based mobo and replaced it with an ASUS M3N-72D. Both were 750a chipsets, so I knew that if I kept my drives in the same basic order and used the same AHCI technology, Vista might take this with minimal fuss.

Folks, this is a new mobo, a new (and different proc), different RAM, and since it is a new mobo, that means a new integrated NIC and MAC address. All things that told me "prepare for the long dark night that is Microsoft... and their locking my Deuce and beckoning me to call them".

My OS is Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit, and I powered the machine up, most everything recognized (had to reinstall the NVidia drivers for the video card to have SLI initialize properly)....

But that was IT. No locks, no calls, no "read me the 25 character alpha numeric activation code so that I can give you a 30 character activation response and unlock your machine".... nothing!

It just transfered and worked as smoothly as I Had hoped!

But my question to you is, was I just lucky, or did MS finally kick that party doll to the curb and stop forcing people to do that? Or is it a perk with Vista Ultimate?

I'm ecstatic right now... but a bit perplexed!

I maybe wrong here, I think they fixed that when SP1 for Vista came out.

I know XP (which I still own) still does that every now and then. Even when I updated this old rig with a new vid card (and yes its AGP) XP freaked on me...lol

So it might be that SP1 fixed it. Anybodys guess.

I spoke too soon....

I *just* got a "You need to activate your OS" info balloon.... but I must admit, with the activation waiting until I had a valid connection on the Internet, it simply asked me to click on the balloon... it took care of the rest.

I'm rather shocked... I was expecting a Jason Vorhees moment from the machine when it came up with all this new hardware...

Going through this with hardware testing it seems that minor changes to the setup are recorded but does not require an reactivation. But switching out a few items it will and it does it on its own and rather quickly, but I think you can only do this 3-4 times before you have to call Microsoft. Now changing out EVERYTHING I found that the OS will not boot into Windows and a reinstall is needed.

This is my experiences and your mileage may vary ;-)

Much ado about nothing really. I think Vista really got a bad rap due to it's initial bugginess. It's really a solid and great OS.

Much ado about nothing really. I think Vista really got a bad rap due to it's initial bugginess. It's really a solid and great OS.
    Agreed! Any total rewrite will have some issues and I thin it was mostly the hardware companies did not want to write new drivers.. I have been really happy with the OS and after SP1 it has been pretty dang rock solid. Now it you do some tweaking and stuff on your own on the OS, then it your fault

Thread Information