Thread: Quad Core Motherboard

Quad Core Motherboard

Thinking about a new build using an Intel quad core processor with Vista Ultimate. I would like to be able to later upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate possibly.

I need to find a good motherboard in the $150-$175 price range.

Prefer to use DDR2 since it seems to be dirt cheap but if DDR3 is more practical for future expansion I would seriously consider it.

Is 64 bit the way to go or is 32 bit more practical? I've read that some programs in 32 bit won't run on 64 bit systems BUT 64 bit is more effective at RAM utilization.

Opinions please?

Quad Core Motherboard

Upgrading to Windows 7 is not going to be a problem. I am running it on my ASUS 1000H Netbook and it seems much faster than XP does.

As for motherboards are there any options that you want?

DDR3 is the future and is the preferred memory to used with the i7 for the memory controller.

32 or 64....

32= 4 gig or less of memory (32 bit limits the amount of ram)
    64= 4 gig or more of memory

I am running the 64 bit version of Vista and I have not run across any programs that don't work. Windows will create two program directories and one will be (x86) for non 64 bit versions.

Quad Core Motherboard

Thanks AF, hmm as far as options go...having used the ASUS A8N32-SLI Premium, I would like an onboard wireless setup and of course the ability to overclock. Also would like to have the ability to have SLI or Crossfire capability.

Quad Core Motherboard

Is 64 bit the way to go or is 32 bit more practical? I've read that some programs in 32 bit won't run on 64 bit systems BUT 64 bit is more effective at RAM utilization.

Opinions please?
    LOVING Vista 64 bit! The only thing i found to be an "issue" was my previous firewall (ZoneAlarm) wasn't supported in Vista 64.

BUT... i found a free firewall i like even better (Commodo) and it's all good! :mrgreen:

I heard plenty of horror stories about Vista, but i'm happy to say (and i'm a first time Vista user) that everything has been smooth sailing for me!

Quad Core Motherboard

Well then you will be looking for the one with the x58 chipset for SLI/CrossFire setup. Right now I dont think you are going to find one withing your budget but if you can hold off for a bit I beat the prices will come down.

Quad Core Motherboard

I've found a board that's piqued my curiosity and I'm giving it serious consideration. The board is an Asus P5Q Turbo from Newegg. Although it doesn't carry all of the features I'd hoped for, I think it would probably meet and exceed my needs and expectations.

Quad Core Motherboard

This one?

[web]http://ads.justrelevant.com/product_detail.php?ad_partner=moddersinc&ad_channe l=18&zipcode=&ad_master_id=718919332[/web]

Thread Information