Thread: hp550 crashing upon start up

Master Modder

hp550 crashing upon start up

hey guys im really hoping someone can help me out here.....i have a hp 550 celeron laptop which i desided to take apart and upgrade, it now has a dual core and 2gigs of ram. now the problem.....since i took it apart (even before i installed the new cpu) it seems to crash when it gos to the windows vista logon screen, well just before the logon screen the screen is all black and at the top it has a glitchy like bar (pixelation) the mouse is present and sometimes moves, anyway this happens all the time...but i have found a way around it which is...

1. i HAVE to boot into safe mode when i first start up the laptop
    2. i then just have to restart it.

this solves the problem but doing this is hell it takes me like 10minutes to get the laptop booted into windows, i know is has something to do with the graphics drive but i cannot pinpoint if it is the driver itself or the gpu chip itself...although to be honest im really thing its hardware related

one last thing, ive looked all over ebay and cannot find a replacment motherboard and i really dont know where i would look for one,

well....hope someone can help me out here, thanks!

razer out :mrgreen:

Hi, does anything show up in the system event logs?

Usually when ever mine or a friends computer does something like that I can find out what caused the crash by looking in the event logs.

Master Modder

hm i dont know i do not know how to look into the event log? although it does pop up that an error was caused because the intel driver so i do know it has something to do with it but vista just says to update the driver...tryed that and it didnt work also can i point out i have reinstalled windows on the laptop and i still have the same problem

If it also did it after a fresh install then I believe you are right in thinking it is a hardware issue.

it now has a dual core and 2gigs of ram
    Does that mean you also upgraded the ram?

If so then with my next thought keep in mind that this is not totally my area and I may be really off on this thought, but maybe the new ram that you put in is bad and inconsistent, and the error message your are getting about the intel drivers is because the new ram is buggy/faulty and is not able to always properly give the needed assistance to the system causing other things such as drivers and such to faulter which might result in the error message.

Have you tried putting the old ram back in it yet and firing it up?

maybe take one stick of ram out, and try each one seperatly?
    I also remember something about upgrading ram by one stick at a time

Master Modder

ive tryed all that aswell i also tryed the ram from my other laptop and still it didnt want to know....by the way my laptop use to have just 1x 1gig of ram in it, i added anouther 1gig of ram which made it to 2 gig any other ideas??

hmm, i'm out of ideas, maybe someone can come up with something else to try, sorry.

Master Modder

this has been driving me nuts for ages now as its such a good laptop aswell.....does anyone know where i can source a motherboard for it?? this i think is the last thing i can do

Thread Information