Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you put as much thought into your power supply purchase?

Do you put as much thought into your power supply purchase?

So I have a question for our readers... How much thought do you put into your power supply choice? Do you simply go with what you can afford and / or can get your hands on? Or do you put as much into the PSU decision as you do the CPU or GPU?

Since hanging around with Jon (JonnyGURU) and Jeremy (Oklahoma Wolf). I started putting more weight on the PSU decisions I make. It's gotten to the point that I will put more thought into the decision of the power supply than I will any of the other components used in the rig. I'm not a good example though, seeing that I change power supplies out quite often and tend to go through several different ones over a rigs life. As better units become available, I swap out the less efficient units for the more efficient ones.

Normally, I don't really have to stop and think to much about what power supply I'm going to use, because I have a selection on hand of some of the beset units that fit my needs. All of my computers are constantly being taken apart and put back together, which means I am constantly changing hardware (including the PSU's).

If I am building a system for someone else though. I tend to spend a bit more time deciding what PSU, when compared to the CPU and GPU for example.

Well it's the 3rd thing I think of when I'm building a system. I only trust good companies and make it a one which could last me at least a few years. I hate thease Chineese companies which say 500w and that they are reliable and are actually 400w + last you half a year and than burn your system.

It's very important to me. But I've gotten lazy about it. There are a few brands that I know are quality and I stick with them. I don't really look around as much as I should probably but heck when you know what's good why risk it.

I usually get more power than I need and relax.

I tend to plan out my system build, and watch sales for good, quality PSU's that match my system.

I will even watch sales and pick up good PSU's on sale if I dont need them... because nothing is worse than having a machine with a blown PSU and then you have an unexpected expense.

A good PSU is like the foundation of a house. You would not buy high end home electronics and plug them into a second rate power system at a house with a ton of noise? You would shorten the lifespan of your components. Same goes for a PSU for a computer. Cheaper PSU's have been shown to create noise and ripple, which over time can cause problems in your hardware. Kinda like getting water in your gas. Sure you can drive... but it wont be efficient, and could cause serious and expensive damage.

PSU is # 1 on every system build *after* I have speced the hardware.
    -=TD

Master Modder

well....as you might know already tazz its your fault that i now put alot of thought into my psu, after all i did nearly destroy my system because of a cheap psu...so number 1 on my list yes

Truthfully....price is a major factor for me. It is really hard to cough up $150-300 for a power supply no matter who makes it. Second would be who makes it, but I think some just buy from an OEM and slap a sticker on it.

Clear Coat

definitely price... but then I don't run my components out of spec or even that hard, I just bought an overrated cheap 500W one, and only need like a 400. plus it had a "lifetime warranty"

I see no sense in risking your computer just to save a few dollars by getting a no name PSU
    I look for a good reviewed PSU that fits my budget ... while I will not use a cheap one, I don't need a high dollar one ether. I'll have a range of ones that I'm interested in and if one of them is on sale, that may be the deciding factor
    Currently that's an Antec Neopower 650 Blue

a note on lifetime warranties ... that may not be the criteria to use on judging a PSU by
    I see customers that bring their vehicle in for me to replace their "Lifetime Warranty" discount parts house starter/alternator after they have gone through 2, 3, 4 of them ... sometimes lifetime does not mean better

Clear Coat

yeah but it was a shiny gold sticker! I had to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information