Thread: 1st Post - Need Advice on Modding a ATCS 840 Side Panel

1st Post - Need Advice on Modding a ATCS 840 Side Panel

I want to install a side panel 230mm CM fan under Modders Mesh in the CM ATCS 840. I think I understand the process to get it done in a neat and clean way.

Has anyone here installed a side panel fan before?

Can anyone provide any advice regarding best practices?

Thanks in advance for your replies and assistance.

/maoriii

Well it all depends on how you want to mount the fan. Generally it would be mounted to the side panel itself.

If this is your first attempt at something like this. You might even look at doing a mock up side panel out of cardboard. Use it to get an idea of where you're going to mount it and check your clearances. The biggest issue with doing side panel fans is making sure you have the clearance for it. Nothing sucks worse than getting it done and then trying to install the side panel to find that the fan hits the case or your hardware.

You will need to also make a template or measure your fan carefully to layout the are to be cut. Again measure twice and cut once is always the best policy... Its easier to fix a layout problem before any cuts are made.

Make sure to tape off your panel so it doesnt get scratched up when cutting it.

Using a Dremel or Jigsaw to cut the panel (I prefer the Dremel because you have less vibrations). If you use a Jigsaw, make sure to have the panel secure, or have someone else help hold it down while your cutting.

The mesh side of it is pretty simple. You just need to cut your piece big enough so that it gets sandwiched between the side panel and the fan. Basically lay your fan on it and trace the outside edge of the fan. Then mark and drill the holes.

If you want the fan mounted to the chassis (so that it stays with the chassis when the panel is removed) then you will just need to make a bracket to mount the fan, then do a mesh opening on the side panel.

Thanks for the quick reply. Ultimately I would like to try to Bevel the edge of the panel to hopefully avoid any clearance issues. This will be the challenging bit to pull off though. I thought about trying to find a used Cosmos S side panel and cannibalizing the mesh insert from it. Finding a spare side panel though is going to be the real trick... I suppose simply beveling the edges of the mesh would probably do the trick. Any thoughts on bending modders mesh in an appealing manner. I am thinking the use of some type of press would allow me to make the necessary indentations.

Well finding a used Cosmos-S panel might be challenging. You can buy them directly from Cooler Master Link for very little.

Bending the mesh is also possible. Although it can be tedious depending on the size of the hole and the amount of material left for the lip. Look at it like stamping parts out of steel. I have seen this done by hand (pain in the ass) and have seen it done by using blocks of wood. You pretty much have to build a top and bottom and sandwich the mesh in between them. Getting a sharp radius with wood though might be tough.

At the bottom of this post I explained how I did the mesh work on my Meshie mod.

Picked up this from Frozen CPU:

A.C. Ryan MeshxPanelâ„¢ HEXX 500x500mm 1.0mm Alu - Black - (ACR-XP00618)

& some window molding.

Will try it first on cardboard as you suggested. Your method of bending the mesh is unique and effective. I will give it a try and let you know.

Thread Information