Thread: #345 - ION Mod idea by Krazeek #1

#345 - ION Mod idea by Krazeek #1

Hello all,

My dream for an ITX system has been around, and now that the Zotac ION is available, it might finally see the light of day. The main expenditure for this mod is the custom case, composed of aluminum and plexiglass. It is based on the fan favorite movie Serenity (aka the TV series Firefly). This mod features the Motherboard rear ports accessible from a hatch on the front and the 2.5" HDD with a plexiglass cover displaying it's workings from the cockpit, as well as a mouse built into and detachable from the mod.

Using Newegg parts, I figured the case would cost around $220 to build, and allowed a bit of play-room for items like wiring, LEDs, an optical mouse, and miscellaneous expenditures. It would run off of Linux Ubuntu or any other distro which the creator prefers. The 32GB SSD hard drive has the OS and some programs on it ($85), the 2.5" backup HDD with a plexiglass cover to reveal the workings would hold the other information ($65), the slim USB CD-RW drive would be under the motherboard ($60), a 120mm Slipstream 10dB fan would cool the assembly from the back ($9), and 4GB of RAM would provide the memory ($43).

Here is a basic depiction of the parts layout, which is adjustable to allow for air flow or parts. The total size of this mod is approximately 40d x 23w x 12h (inches).

Good luck to everybody, and I'm sure we'll see some breathtaking ideas here.

I am STILL bummed that Fox canceled that show...

Great idea.

After reviewing the rules of the competition, I redesigned the costs to better fit the needs of the case. Here are the components I see it using:

* PSU (available from mini-itx.com): $75
    * Adapter cable (available from mini-itx.com): $58
    * DVD-RW (Sony Optiarc Slimline from mini-itx.com): $65
    * HDD (HITACHI 0A57546 250GB 7200 RPM from newegg.com): $65
    * Mouse (Rosewill RM800U from newegg.com): $5
    * Fan (120mm Slipstream 10dB from newegg.com): $9
    * Case (custom aluminum/plexiglass case): ~$220

Thread Information