Thread: #22 Ion Mod Idea by ModMinded

#22 Ion Mod Idea by ModMinded

Hi Modders!
    Being an active modding forum reader for some time now, I'm well familiar with the past work of the modders chosen to create the concepts we put out, and am honored to be able to submit an idea for their creation!

Being that we are working with such an small, self contained mobo (integrated audio, quality Video, etc.) I felt it should really highlight the Big Graphics, Small Quiet PC benefits. So I've got the Monitor All-in-One for your modding pleasure.

I suck at drawing and sketchup, but here's a photo of my sketched out idea. Explanatory words after the img. Feel free to let me know if something is not clear.

1) Take a large, gaming quality LCD monitor (I'm thinking 24" minimum... after all, we want to show off the Big Graphics of this board, but in a pinch it could be anything (don't want to spoil the budget).)

2)Here thar be Options:

2a - Create a plexi/alum box for the Ion, and have it with an extended VESA compatible mounting plate, made of metal and with enough offset to avoid standard mounts. (rough image on center left.) Can be mounted to any vesa compatible screw mount. Short DVI cables (right angled+) needed to avoid ugly cable excess.

2b - Strip the LCD - Fabricate a frame for the LCD panel, control board, power inverter and ION, mounting them on the back of the LCD panel. Build an outer frame. (I'd like layers of alum and plexi, black and Nvidia Green, and some smokedbronzed for the back. Think edge lighting.) Build 2 brackets to support the LCD in position on the desk. (pictured center right). I think the layered alum and plexi would look sweet, especially if patterns are cut out in the faces (ideas are flexible, but think Zotac and Nvidia Logos.) The brackets pictured are a stationary model with the angle set, but it would be easy to create an adjustable arc on the bottom and a way to stop it at the desired angle.

Only special parts needed would be a short DVI cable (preferably with 90 deg ends)
    Plexi colors: opaque black, Nvidia/Zotac coloring?
    Metal: alum sheet
    For structural stability and a VESA mount option for Option 2B, the frame could be made of metal angle iron or boxed tubes of alum, maybe with viewing layers of plexi between.

Edit: I prefer 2B, personally as it has a lot more room to mod with. I'd like to get some window accents in the back to show the ION and accent lighting going on in there. I'd expect to side mount a slim or slot load DVD on one of the sides, and locate power buttons+ I/O ports there as well. Bluetooth can be used for keyboard mouse, or plug into the USB ports on the back or side.

Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Another good suggestion and I like how you showed you idea. That is probably on of the easiest way to show what you are thinking and just about anyone can do that.

Another good suggestion and I like how you showed you idea. That is probably on of the easiest way to show what you are thinking and just about anyone can do that.
    Thanks AF! I wasn't sure it'd be legible!

Nice done ! Keep it going !

Thread Information