Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #68 - ION Mod idea by jwpowers5 1

#68 - ION Mod idea by jwpowers5 1

My first idea:
    I would love to see a keyboard with the portability of a palm's keyboard turned into a full computer. Or maybe a standard keyboard if a keyboard that folds or compacts is too difficult. When you look at a desk, you should have only the bare essentials to reduce clutter. This means eliminating the tower, as well as many cords as possible.
    -include a blue tooth mouse
    -integrate speakers
    The hard drive would be on the right and the motherboard in the middle, leaving the dvd drive on the left to open without hitting the mouse.
    This is the cheaper of my two ideas, and would cost less than $100 even when taken to the extreme. Plus, I consider it to be too close in resemblance to laptops, although without the screen. Thus I do not actually count this as an entry because it is actually a degraded laptop.

My real, useful idea:
    This is the second idea that I came up with, oriented towards those who want a home theater system but do not have the space or do not want a full sized computer tower taking up the floor next to their professionally-hung hd tv. With the added thickness of the computer, this project would involve sinking it into the wall for a more seamless look. Also, in-wall cables would help looks tremendously. The basic essence of this idea is that everyone has digital photos, and pays over $50 for a digital photo frame. Then, they also sometimes will buy a computer for their own dvr.

sheet metal
    various nuts, bolts, and other fasteners
    wireless desktop with good range(keyboard and mouse)
    hd tv tuner-usb(optional)
    2.5 in solid state hard drive
    laptop blue ray drive
    very thin 15 in wide screen lcd monitor (maybe smaller even)

Wifi would remove one more cable
    Can display pictures while watching hd movie
    If nothing else, this case setup with a larger monitor would work wonderfully for a desktop with no space (especially a shallow one) as it is less than 5 in deep for the monitor and the computer!

The other option that I would choose to have:
    very soft lighting around the frame of the lcd monitor or maybe behind the frame so it glows on the wall behind... different colors flashing patterns? Lots of potential here for creativity. Just would use the extra funds on this.

Also, sorry for the handwriting and the disorganization in the diagram. >Tried< to draw top, side, and front views (clockwise from top)
    If any more details or drawings are needed, just contact me!
    Please consider the usefulness of this design!
    Thanks, -jwpowers5

Also, the pic cut off the top, which is the label telling you the top is the top view.

somehow i did the picture wrong. it is at this link above (and below)

-Edited by AF - If you have an issue you can go back to the image host and see if they give at better link for forums. If not you can take the URL that goes to the image and select the "Insert Web Page" which lives in the full reply section and not in the quick reply area.

Edit : thank you AF (whomever you may be)

In essence, it would look like a digital photo frame, only it would play COD4.

Oops, wow can't believe I forgot to mention this specifically. This "picture frame" would be hung on the wall next to an hd tv and thus look like a digital picture frame (with many many lights) but would also play hd movies and stream video. Or, you could just use it as a very thin custom desktop.
    Really, you could put this anywhere, and it would both look really cool (with lights) and function better than a laptop. Mount it in the wall next to your bed or in the ceiling. Maybe in your bathroom (if you are rich) or even in your car. Your own custom blue ray media player. Ha add a web cam for a backup camera! You could build this for under $500 if you were under a tight budget.
    15in lcd monitors cost less than $100,
    plus another $100 for the hard drive,
    and maybe $50 for the RAM,
    and the other $250 for the ION board...

Just noticed others have power supplies... do I need one? I thought they were integrated. Any idea's where I could place one? Maybe get one of the really small laptop ones somehow?

NOOOOOOOO. Ok, I totally came up with this idea on my own, but as I was cruising through the other ideas I came across this.
    His is just a really simplified version of mine, I guess. Different control, and different use though. My design powers an hd tv while being disguised as a digital picture frame (kind of although with lights and not much of a border). Also, their idea uses a digital picture frame for the display which is only 9 in. PLEASE tell me my design is different enough??

I also get the impression from his description that it would be mainly used to display pictures, where my design would display anything plus play hd movies or record tv on a separate hd tv. I also was thinking for some reason that you could play 2 movies or videos at once with the dual core? but the graphics might not stand up to it. I don't know. All I have are geforce 6200 and geforce 9800gx2
    You just can't tell what his design specifically is for and its capabilities from the description. I still believe that as the functions are so different, then the designs would be considered different enough.. I hope.

Hmm. If I called mine an "internet media machine to be integrated with the wall of a home theater," would it be different enough? I never really specifically gave it a name, I just compared it to a digital picture frame (a mistake now, I think).
    Agg I am really disgusted with myself for not checking everyone's ideas before posting my own.

Home theater all-in-one (with out the hd tv) I guess.

Please just tell me if it's too close, anyone.

It really seems like the other design is only a digital picture frame with way too much power. Anyone disagree? Does he give the impression that the design forms any other functions?

We will make the call at the time of judging. We know there will be some ideas that will close to each other and we will look at each merit of the ideas. Who knows maybe 2 of the final 5 could be the same idea, just different takes on it :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information