Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: #414 - ION mod idea by od1

#414 - ION mod idea by od1

The Bonsai ION MOD

The ION's form factor is such than, in the tradition of Bonsai, it is not a Bonsai until it has been pruned and shaped. The ION - having been pruned of the none-essentials and shaped into it's current form, is to me, the epitome of the Bonsai art form.

I thought a Bonsai mod for the ION was the perfect melding of that art form; what is normally large, into what is small.

There has always been a close connection between technology and the environment and being 'eco friendly' and 'green' are all too important. The ION supports this belief as a low-power PC as well as sharing the visual beauty of the Bonsai with it's powerful graphics.

The Bonsai ION Original concept art:

The internal space allowed inside the pot is only limited by the pot size however for this build, I've opted to use a 14 7/8" x 10 1/2" x 5 1/4" (377.825mm x 266.7 x 132mm) pot.

It would be great if a living Bonsai could be incorporated into this, however there are a lot of specifics that would have to be taken into account; not the least of which is watering but also the plant type, root/plant depth requirements, sunlight... etc. So for this, an artificial Bonsai was selected however I do believe the fundamentals of the design and message remain.

The following is a proposed design spec for a possible Bonsai ION layout with pot and artificial tree. The layout is subject to the modder who makes it if is chosen - I am only posting these as an option.

The iPhone and US change are for reference only. I've measured everything to the millimeter and to scale.

Added a window:

Slim CD/DVD (using an ATPI to Sata adapter) & Media Card reader (smallest one I could find)

IO Panel uses cable jumpers to an IO panel built into the base so the IO isn't cut into the side of the pot. I didn't create all the cables and connectors but you get the idea.

Instead of plain ground or moss or some other faux ground cover, I opted for a concrete look and having the Bonsai tree 'bursting' out from the concrete - then added a little logo graffiti... Also notice the road dashes and single solid line - only Nvidia gets to pass the slow-pokes and the oncoming traffic can only rubber-neck (;

I think it adds a little urban appeal while maintaining the original concept and message - Of course, the classic Bonsai look will look great no matter what one does for the ground, this was a direction I wanted to express.

WOW now this is creative.

Thanks Feelthefunk.

- I - want a Bonsai ION !

Call it the BonsION

The BonsaION!

Sound good to me! - They can call it anything they want - if it wins (:

Looks spiffy, I want one...but umm...where's the HDD and DVD/Blue-ray go?

Thanks (:

I've updated my post to reflect that question.

All in all, it can fit in a properly sized pot.

This one is really good. A modder could use almost any style of pot on the bottom. It might be cool to etch or emboss some PC game art on the pot to give a subtle hint as to what the whole tree/pot is all about.

Simple, yet leaves the modder with some decent stylistic options

Absolutely - And lest we forget the Bonsai itself - there are a multitude of shape, plant type and color options for that as well.

Heck they could even paint it up to match their design on the pot!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information