Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: #409 - ION Mod Idea by Railz

#409 - ION Mod Idea by Railz

I'm not sure how easy this would be but i always thought it would be cool to have a gyro PC.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    have a little stand that it balances on, actually has a gyro in it... as for the case. have it a nice diamond shape to make it easy to "gyrate"
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]

That would be cool! Getting the right weight distribution would take some fine tuning, however. to make it a Diamond shape, why not the Sims' green diamond?

Only problem I see, looking back on it, is how will the wires/connections affect the balance? put all the connections etc. running through the bottom

Well it would have the actual gyro spinning inside of it, so the case would be stationary and not spinning... and im not sure if you have ever tried to push a gyro over or turn a spinning bicycle wheel but its pretty hard to do so i think it would be "do able"

Also brings up the question, wouldn't a spinning gyro generate static? Yes, I know that gyroscopes are hard to topple over, I’m just wondering how you intend to make all the connections to monitor and power (mice and keyboards can be wireless, just like internet so disregard those) without having wires coming out the sides which would make the case look awkward...I’ll post pictures of what I mean when I get home, I get off in 10 minutes. WHOO! ^_^

for the power connection i had the idea of having a small metal plate on top of the stand and one on the bottom of the diamond case making a connection, then having the power cord come out of the base...
    but yeah post some pics

forget what i said about the power connection... i thought up a better idea in which the base generates a magnetic field and there could be a coil inside the diamond. so when the magnetic field changes it translates that to power.

And if that is too far out or possibly expensive, it could have a plug towards the bottom of the case that can be plugged in like a laptop power connection.

Geez, I was in the middle of typing my response when I saw you updated...lmao, I'll Edit in my findings here in a few. Sorry no pics yet, but you'll understand why when you read it.

Okay, so I took your mod idea home and started tooling around with it in Blender 3D (cheapest 3d rendering software out there, whoo hoo!) and as I was deciding how everything would fit into said case, I got really creative and into it. I've decided that my next PC is the aforementioned Sims 3 diamond, crediting you and EA for the idea of course. Sadly the specifications are well over the $500 limit the contest asks for, but since I'm ordering the parts myself, winning the Mod doesn't matter. ^_^

I'll try to post my renderings (mind you, better than the one I did for the ps2 slim+laptop idea) when I'm satisfied with how the Mobo looks in Blender.

the Case is a light, tinted green Plexiglass material with dimensions roughly 10" in diameter where the diamond is widest and in an Octagonal cut to make space for the mobo connections on the back (USB, DVI, etc.) since I want this to completely enclose the motherboard and everything else, I wanted to find the smallest components I could.

I submit to you the following:

ZOTAC GF8200-C-E Mini ITX AMD Motherboard
    since the Ion is Intel specific, I needed something that would gear up more GHz for processing. This baby at Newegg comes with a package deal that includes..

AMD Athlon II X2 245 2.9GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor
    I could probably OC this to 3.1/3.2 at most with the next I have in mind.

Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 Desktop Memory
    Kingston makes the best memory, no doubt about that. Not the best for gaming, I know, but working with a limited budget (i.e. "Mine&#34, this should more than suffice.

Western Digital Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT 320GB 7200 RPM 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive
    I was originally going to go with the "Blue" model, but someone on Craigslist pointed out the difference in speed and I noticed this one is Vista compatible ( if anyone uses Vista anymore). Since I mostly run everything off my external drive, I don't mess too much with the internal. This one is 2.5" factor slim for laptops, helping keep the minimalism with the case mod in mind.

Since the HDD requires a special connection for power, I've found this adapter cable that should do the trick nicely.

DVD/RW drive
    Pioneer Slim Slot Loading CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model DVR-TS08
    Again, not the best, but slot-loading appealed to me since I can place the drive at an angle in the case so DVDs feed into one of the facets of the diamond. Also, budget restraints talking again.

2x APEVIA CF12SL-UGN 120mm Green LED Case Fans
    This should help make the case glow the cool green it does in the picture, but it may not suffice. I'll have to look into it when I make the mod.

OKAY, now here comes the harder technical stuff aside from fabricating the case and suspension for the components.
    You were right to realize as I did earlier that the "hot plate" idea would make the mod difficult to create, so looking into minimizing cable-dy-hoopty-doo, I came across these fine items from the people at

This ATX power connector allows for 12V CD input like you mentioned laptops use and will be wired so that the cable connects at the bottom without conflicting with the balance theme. Now you may have noticed that some of the connectors are missing for the rest of the components, not to worry as the 4-pin is optional on the connector and this splitter will allow for the other, remaining drive.

Also the connector has the slight issue of conflicting with the case dimensions if it's connected directly, hence an extension is required to make the fit.

Lastly, the gyroscope in question must be a high-powered, electric motored one roughly 8-9 inches in diameter to keep this case (roughly 10lbs) upright, but I'm still in the process of finding a manufacturer for it, otherwise I'll have to pull out what little engineering experience I have that will allow for it to fit in the case.

Again, this is just a quick and dirty run-through on what I expect to be a delightful challenge ahead of me :mrgreen: , but if all bodes well...the only other thing glowing green are envious lan attendees. :lol:

EDIT 2: on a side note, if it DOES win you the mod, then at least they can send it to you for the idea in the first place. ^_^

When you mentioned the power connector plugging into the bottom, did you mean the very bottom, or more off to the side bottom? I had planned for it to be as close to the bottom tip as possible without it actually "being" the tip. as for the case it would be easy to make your own that looks the same but is a little bigger if space is a major issue. but i have been searching the internet about a gyro that would fit these speculations and it is quite difficult to find one.

However that case sounds like it might be large enough but if we want to fit a decent gyro in there we may need it to be a little wider and taller... i wish i could see this sims 3 diamond in real life to get a handle on how large it is because right now im kind of in the dark about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information