Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: p3 pain?

p3 pain?

I have been going through the stuff the other night and found a p3 500... ive been trying to get it to work, i have tried about 10 different hdd ranging in size from about 5gig to 0.5gig, i have managed to get one to partiaclly install 98, but now it comes up with windows protection error and makes me restart. i have been able to fdisk/format hdd but when it comes to installing win then they just wont do it. not too sure why, and trust me its buging me! any ideas?? ive tried a known good hdd on it and it still didnt work, came up with errors.

also... i wrote my car off on friday night.. im ok, but now im up for over a grand in expenses so i guess that nice new computer i was saving for is gone for the longer term... again :cry:

p3 pain?

tested ram? what kind of error you get while installing windoze? what is the error msg you get with win98? will Roland reach the Dark Tower? (don't answer that one, i haven't read it yet)

p3 pain?

hmm...onboard IDE controller problem, to me it sounds like.

p3 pain?

basically it says, windows protection error. means as much to me as it does to you im guessing. will try testing the ram... if i can get it to. thinking about putting linux on it casue windows is playing up so much. might try swapping one of the ide cords over too. could be that! i will have to have a play with it more tonight, and see if i cant get anyhting to work will let you know in the morning.. i have no net at home at the moment!

p3 pain?

right after spending a unevetual night, i pulled the whole system down and sat it on the table. i powered it up sitting on the table, and installed 98 on it, whilst i was hoilding the m/b... i puit it into another case and by this time i was gettting tired, i power it on and it wont go as far as to load 98... grrrr.. i thought i had the problem nutted out.. that somethingwas touching, perhaps there still is.. also, i think i had 2 different types of ram in the system which was part of th reason why it kept crashing....

p3 pain?

that sort of thing has happened to me! the pc wouldnt do anything but boot, but when i took it out it was fine. it turned out it didnt like being grounded to the case. just get some plastic standoffs and that should cure your problem

p3 pain?

well i have about 3-4 plastic ones in there, i'll have a hunt around to see if i cant find some others in other cases.. i now have net at home so i can kinda keep it updated a bit more! but the sooner i get my pc running - i woint have to share the net!

p3 pain?

dang it.. i should say i had net.. i had broadband, but for now back to dial up.. so anyways, i found some more plastic standoffs, and put them in, took out the other metal standoffs, and hey presto, it works! i put a 32 meg matrox vid card in with dual head and i now have 2 monitors... only 15" ones but its better than one monitor! next thing.. is to try and find some funds to buy a few tools and have a play around with this case.. oh and i have a couple of pics as well, via a friend's webcam.. not great pics...

so ideas would be appreciated.

p3 pain?

if i where you, id deffinately move the PSu, where it is its blocking the CPU fan, and when i moved the one i had like that, i got lower temps by at least a few degrees C, and my northbridge stopped overheating. lol.

have you got a side panel for this case? if so, window it, if not, make one from clear plexi, it would be so cool!

Master Modder

p3 pain?

Glad to hear you got it up and running!! Great, and you're right 15's are better than none, so is dial-up. The old saying, sometimes you have to take 2 steps back for every 1 step forward, you'll get back to where you want to be, if there's anything that I have learned on this site, is that the members and staff are persistent at what they do to succeed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information