Thread: #359 - ION Mod Idea by SHODAN

Primered

#359 - ION Mod Idea by SHODAN

Ok, I am in the process of trying to load up some images of the ball/eye modules from GLaDOS from the SDK software. This is a placeholder for now hehe...But, judging by all the images on the internet of people making their own copies of stuff from the PORTAL game...sadly...the weighted companion cube pc idea has been done... BUT NO ONE has yet to do the eyeball as a pc yet... Though someone made a cute little toy of it. If you like my IonOSphere, then your going to love this little bugger!

MORE TO COME

Primered

Ok.. Now here is my idea for a GLaDOS inspired ION PC. First off, as long as this design isnt mass produced by someone for profit, I dont see any conflict from the makers of PORTAL. People have made a weighted companion cube box PC.(Seriously, was my first choice) I am again looking to a new shape for a PC, as with my ION-O-SPHERE design. Small, round, and mobile. I will leave the measurements to the designers when the time comes, but I suspect it would be about a foot in diameter sphere wise, not counting the handles or legs in the rear. Again, I will do this in sections.

First off, the front.
    As you can see, the main eye will be colored, the user will be given the option of choosing its color, based on the colors of GLaDOS various personalities encountered in game. The iris should be made of some sort of clouded material, with the LEDs positioned out of sight along the outer edge, hopefully dispersed enough so that the beams aren't too focused. The four switches (marked by corresponding colored dots) Will toggle their respective color on and off, allowing combination of the colors if desired. These buttons will also control likewise colored lighting for the upper vents. All 8 of the buttons shown on the face should not extend beyond the shell of the inner sphere, so that it does not hinder the central sphere(eyes) movement...So that you could pivot the eye around, not needed i guess, but its fun and allows closer simulation of the actual eye from the game. The (+) and (-) buttons are for volume, if the MoBo supports this. If not, then I assume they can be used for something. The two panels for front access for basic ports, likely front audio and USB, should be recessed enough to not hinder eye movement, and if possible, use the cut away portion of the shell to make covers, so when not in use, you can make the eye look more complete. The two carry handles should be mounted (sturdily mind you) to the outer two shells, covered in some sort of grip material, and serve as both the handles and front leg. Obviously these will only connect to the outer shell to allow inner eye movement as well. If need be I can provide animated example, the Source SDK software allows you to view the complete model and its animations.

Next up, the rear.

As per usual, this is where the bulk of your port and cable access will be. The original model has a tri-prong like plug in its center. As shown in the picture, the AC port, WiFi antenna and RJ-45 ports will take the place of these prongs, hopefully positioned in the shown formations. Now, the panels for the rear video ports, peripheral ports, etc... should hopefully be fit within the two panels, I assume extensions could be used from the ION MoBo within the case can be used. If needed, the Audio out jacks can be placed within a third panel, as shown, or wherever possible that sticks with the theme. Again, all 3 panels should be recessed so that if again when not in use, they wont hinder the eyes movement. Keeping the cut away portions of the eye would be preferred to make covers as well. Also, a key feature I find important for these small form factor PCs, is the dual hot swap bays for the 2.5 HDs. This should be recessed enough in the body so that when the panels are closed, they can be covered with a panel cover, and effectively be invisible. Vents will obviously be in line with the curvature of the sphere, the fans here should be set up as intake fans, and do not have to be lit since its the rear.. But if room is available, why not. Lastly, the one thing that will change the eyes appearance will be two stub legs of appropriate length, likely some form of rubber, that will be attached to the outer two shell halves. These should keep the eye level, and likely help with sound dampening from fans.. HD.. what have you. If needed, if the two front handles don't provide enough stability in keeping the two halves firmly together around the center sphere, you can connect these two legs with a center bar or connector of some sort. Even with everything plugged in, you would still be able to pivot the eye, which should be handy if you have limited space cable wise.(Nothing worse then too much stress on a VGA cord to cause it to die)

Short and sweet here with the side views. More so a reference. To keep the eye mobile, not much to place on the side panels. Toyed with the idea of having the GLaDOS eye as one solid piece, and take advantage of the two slots, likely using them for USB ports or the like. Painting will be fun for those who like this, and if wanted, you can place appropriate badges or logos.

Last up(hehe pun) is the top of GLaDOS.
    I felt this would be the best place for the slot loading drive, preferably a Blu-Ray drive.(Why not, its the thing to have nowadays!) The slit used for the drive will have to be deep enough again to not interfere with the sphere of the body, and the black band along the middle of the eye will serve to hide it well. IF possible to relocate the Eject button, hopefully you can have it placed on the face of the eye, using one of the eight button spots, if not, shouldn't be too hard to hide it in the upper portion of the sphere. Two vents should be placed in the spots shown, with aforementioned shape characteristics, and can be lit as well in theme with the rest of the eye. These vents will be the exhaust since heat rises, and seems the best/obvious placement for them. If possible, you can have heat pipes running from key components inside to heat sinks attached to the upper fans. Honestly, I am not even sure if the ION MoBo will generate that level of heat, though the RAM easily could.

All in all, since the ION MoBo itself takes care of nearly all the key features of the PC, not allowing for expansion cards, like a sound card and what not, There should be plenty left over of the $500 for parts.. leaving extra for those bells and whistles that are optional, or maybe a nice keyboard mouse combo.
    One thing I cam curious about, is if you can get a small device that you can pre-load with sound files, have it inside the body attached to a basic inner speaker, and have it routed through main power.. So that with a push of a button you can have GLaDOS say a few of her/it's more famous lines from the game. I have seen such devices done for toys and other nerdy fun things... Like a T-Shirt sold at the thinkgeek website. This could add another dimension to the theme of this PC.

Another key and hopefully possible feature were to have the touching surface of the outer shell lined with ball bearings, or some sort of surface to allow the eye to move easily, or at least without grinding against the inner eye and lead to scuffing or damage of the paint job.

If you have any questions or comments, please give em! If I could find some sort of recording program to record animations and save them as a flash animation, I would post it as an example of the eyes proposed movements.

Primered

Does anyone know if fabricating a sphere(s) from plastic or metal is possible and not costly? Shouldnt be too big, maybe 12in diameter...maybe 18in.

Even though I am a contender, I hope you win if not myself.

Primered

AWwwww! Hehe. If I win, Id at least hope you get a mobo as a consolation prize(or if you win, vice versa) Heh. What is your deathstar made of? is that a foam layout? Kinda weird looking. At least your halfway done if you win, since your case is designed with such a massive Power supply.. swapping everything out for the smaller Mobo... you will have plenty of room for other stuffs.

Primered

Hmm Might have a problem with power supply for this. Apparently the model ITX board we are getting doesnt come with one. Also, we will be getting one SSD for the mod... so lets see price wise...

Power Supply: ???
    DVD RW Slot Loading: $60
    or
    Blu-Ray Slot Loading: $160 (Ebay has many prices, some lower some higher)

Additional 2.5 HD 320GB: $70

Dual 2.5 Hot Swap Bay: $50

Possible 12in Metal Sphere : $68
    this is the closest thing I was able to find on the internet.. God I hope there is something simpler. Would need a basic sturdy plastic or metal... paint it over... cut it up etc.

Those are the hardcore prices....$290 with DVD or $350 with blu ray. dont know how much it will cost to get a power supply that would fit inside. Was hoping for something like the laptop power supply brick like in the other ZOTAC mobo...External would be best. Also.. this doesnt include if they can find some other 12 inch sphere to use.. and all the extra fans and lighting accessories. Could loose another $70 for the second hard drive.... hmmm Well I am probobly putting too much planning into this.. might not even win....(RAWR I BETTER WIN)

Anyone know of any sphere supply places? Metal or plastic...as long as it can support the pc components. Also, will be doing measurements later to see if I can get it all to fit... We know the MoBos dimentions, found the dimentions of the slot loading DVD rom... 5x5 and only half an inch thick. hopefully everything can fit inside.. WOULD really love to see GLaDOS or my IONoSphere idea come alive. Wish I knew how to do those 3d render programs.

Primered

Ok new update concerning my Ion GLaDOS idea. First off, I may have a supplier for a metal or acrylic sphere to build from. Apparently have the options for having a seam in the middle.. saves having to cut it open, and may or may not have a opening at the bottom. Got an email back saying that they had recently talked with a computer modder concerning such a job(seems im not the only curious one) Waiting to hear from them concerning pricing on the spheres based on the material and size, figure a 12in minimum though 18 would be better. Just throwing this out there since this would potentially be the most complicated part. Plus, since they offer in 18 inches, that should make its construction easier... And they may be able to pre cut it for my designs.

Secondly, new idea I should have thought of this in original designs, but, in the central eye, why not put in a webcam as well? I am not to familiar with this particular mother board and the expansion capabilities it possesses, but like you see in todays laptops, why not have a built in webcam? Since they can be incredibly small, it shouldn't take up much room inside, and can be fitted to be about where the iris is. Only problem is, I dont know where to get internal ones, and secondly, where/how it would be hooked up. Obviously you have a plethora of USB ports available on this MoBo, but with USB, you have to plug in and un plug alot, especially to set up something. It would look rather sloppy to have a cord coming out the back to loop around and use one of the USB ports. I will be looking into the mini PCI express slot that apparently is available on this unit, see if its in use by the WiFi, because I think I read it was, and secondly, see what your able to plug into it, see if you can use it to expand the capabilities of the Mobo.
    Would be awesome to incorporated some sort of motorized capability, either controlled via some program via the pc, Like what you get in the expensive cameras you can remotely control and pan around... or through some sort of separate wired controller... That way.. the eye can look around and you can see what it sees. If any of the builders have experience with electronics and making their own robotic playthings, this would be awesome. GLaDOS is in your pc watching you @&#%!
    In short:

Likely supply found for the Sphere used for custom fab.
    Addition of Webcam(eye) possibility.

I would pair this with the falcon controller which is also round

Thread Information