Thread: #326 - ION Mod Idea By Godmonkey

#326 - ION Mod Idea By Godmonkey

Nvidia "ION ION" Mod Submission

my submission!

Influances: NASA's Ion Thruster, Steampunk.

I am a huge space fan, and have been following NASA for as long as i can remember. I was just a lad when but I remember see the challenger accident and asked my mom why there was not a safer way to travel to space. This is one of my oldest memories and I have been following space events and what not ever sense.

So when I first seen that it was an Nvidia "ION" design contest my first mental image was NASA's ION Thruster that will be getting a lot of use in years to come.
    Click here to see an ION thruster.

When you read about the ION motherboard, 2 of its selling points are low power and high performance. NASA's Ion thruster used 50% less fuel then conventional rockets and archives a better range of travel. So its almost fitting that these 2 things go together for this MOD.

I really like the Ion Thruster linked to above and that is going to be my only image despite making several clones of it in Google sketch up. This is because I want I to resemble a real Thruster and any thing I make is to get as close to that as I can.

To show off this motherboard I would place it dead center of the circular window at a 45 degree angle. I would also like headphone/mic jacks up fount and 4 USB ports as well.

My design is for a Home theater so it'll need a bluray player. I use externals a lot so the hard drive can be small I'd say 100gigs is small by to days standers.

The neutralizer on top can hide a wireless adapter. (its the box thing on top of the thruster. In lamens, Its to git rid of the static built up by the thruster while in operation.)

The ONLY changes to what it looks like in the image would be COPPER and copper rivets! I love copper and changing from dull Grey metal to COPPER and matching Copper Rivets would really give it a Steampunk edge that I would enjoy. Also the size, the diameter can be as small as it needs to be to fit the motherboard and the depth to fit and components behind the motherboard.

(optional) I would Like to see the insides only when its turned on, to achieve this the light inside will HAVE to be bright and the window 2 layers of 1/8th clear colorless acrylic with a sheet of thin tracing paper or tissue paper in between them. I'm not sure if this would look tacky or if it would work as well as it does in my head.

That sums it up for me. I hope you all like my idea and I cant wait to see the winners designs come to life!

I learned a lot about the ITX form factor. I never Realized how good some of these really are.

BIG Thanks to all.
    Godmonkey

Sorry, but I already submitted that idea. Although you did include more information. I would like to see if a moderator says anything about it. Here's a link to my post from a couple days ago.

http://www.modders-inc.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3518

oZEPPELINo is correct. He has previously submitted the idea.

Unfortunately godmonkey, this contest is only open to the USA and Canada residents.

I'm a resident of Washington state and I would be surprised if you can not ship to an APO address... I guess thats what i get for not looking through all the submission...

Hmm... Well that does pose some thought... I will check into it.

Were does it say you get more then one submission? that seems rather unfair... I mean I could Spam ideas just to block any one else's similar idea... even if its more thought out... Sure they got it first among how many other ideas...

If you get more then one submission then it shouldn't matter is someone one ups one of them...

I know what you mean, there's been a lot of talk about what if someone says "I'm using a sphere" and another says "I'm using a rectangle" do they own those shapes now or what? Or what if someone says "Use a toaster" and puts up a pic, then someone else makes some sweet 3d models with schematics and whatnot. Who gets the idea? It's tricky, I just hope no one gets shot down during the voting because of something like this.

well for now this is my only submission weather I'm DQed or not.. I've been working a lot and don't have the life to spare to keep thing up and planning out ideas... I thought I was rather original, but i just Googled Zotac Ion and the dam thruster came up on the first page so I should have been smarter. Perhaps I'll become picky about the rules of any contests I enter.

If i get time I guess I'll post a few more but... well see...

till i get back, later
    GM

As far as the residency goes. No problem.

Thread Information