Thread: #348 - ION Mod Idea by Scirocco

#348 - ION Mod Idea by Scirocco

Kitchens tend to be a gathering place for families. So why not have a fantastic ION-based PC in the kitchen to serve as a recipe book for mom and show movies or tv programs while she's cooking or the kids are cleaning up?

Some kitchens are on the smaller side, so a very large screen may not work. However, the 21.5" Asus LCD monitor should fit nicely on the 12 x 12" recipe box as a stand. HD movies will play back flawlessly from an internal blue ray drive using Nvidia's 9400M video and HDMI connection. Video can be streamed wirelessly from a home media server on Zotac's integrated 802.11n WiFi motherboard. All hardware besides the monitor will be built in to the recipe box.

When mom decides to whip up a mouth-watering dinner, the Ion-based PC can store and retrieve hundreds of recipes from the state of the art Corsair SSD drive. A Logitech diNovo mini keyboard with clickpad will handle the PC's commands, in a compact clam-shell design to help keep crumbs out of the keys.

Given the ION platform's low power requirements, this mini powerhouse won't be adding to the heat or noise in the kitchen -- that's a major plus!

Here's the budget rundown:

$150 Asus VH226H LCD Monitor HDCP/HDMI
    0 Zotac Ion motherboard
    0 Corsair DDR2 memory
    70 Internal SATA Blue Ray drive
    0 Corsair Extreme Series SSD
    40 AC-DC 102w power adapter
    135 Logitech diNovo Mini Bluetooth Keyboard
    0 Windows OS
    105 Recipe box (cables, paint, fans, etc.)
    $500 (Price est. include free or approx shipping)

Nvidia's new ION platform can make handy and helpful PCs anywhere in the house, even in the kitchen. I'd certainly like one in mine!

Clear Coat

I think a touchscreen/tablet interface (so mom can make notations in handwriting) might be a bit more useful than a blueray, but then again, it might not be feasible. *shrug* just my 2 cents.

While I agree a touchscreen lcd would be quite nice, it really doesn't work for the allotted budget in the competition rules. Besides, the purpose of having recipes entered onto the computer is to get away from handwriting them. There are several very good recipe database programs out there, i.e., Master Cook and Now You're Cooking. They do great things such as automatically adjusting ingredient measurements based on the number of servings wanted. Another is the cook putting together recipes for the week and the recipe program prints out a shopping list of the items and amounts required.

And now that I think of it, not sure I'd want my flour-coated fingers all over that screen when I'd like to watch an HD movie. So for clarification:

Great work. Love how you tied it to a purpose.
    Make sure you have an inbuilt mic for voice control. Good for messy cooking...

+1 on the touchscreen.

Thread Information