Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #405 - Ion Mod Idea by AWizardInDallas

#405 - Ion Mod Idea by AWizardInDallas

Please consider building a special case in the shape of a twenty-sided polyhedral dice (icosahedron) or "D20" in honor of the original inventors of the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game who've both recently died. Mr. Gary Gygax died March 4, 2008 and Mr. Dave Arneson died April 7, 2009. The case is a fitting nod to two talented men who changed the world forever, providing gamers world wide with countless hours of enjoyment, not only through D&D, but through the hundreds of computer role-playing games inspired by their innovation and imagination. Computer games like World of Warcraft (featuring elements of D&D, elves, dwarves, gnomes, etc.) might not have existed without their inspiration. The case design is as follows:

The case is made from translucent Plexiglas, preferably red, orange, yellow, blue, green, clear or "smoke" representing the "gem" dice associated with D&D. A simple, elegant design, the D20 facets are essentially identical equilateral triangles. Glue, heat-resistant, or metallic clips are used to bind the facets of the dice together, whichever is most attractive. The facets are numbered from 1-20 by etching or frosting the numbers into the Plexiglas. The top facet of the dice is the "20." This facet also serves as the lid, so the inside can be accessed easily. Unobtrusive silver or bronze hinges are ideal for the lid and a matching cabinet knob is attached to make opening easy. Bright interior LED lighting gives the dice a beautiful glow. Matching D&D thematic cooling fans and cables complete the design. The overall size of the case fits the hardware. USB ports on accessible facets are a welcome bonus as is a temperature management control. Power and all "unattractive" cabling are at the "rear" of the D20. Please refer to the foldable model and inspirational photos. Thanks!

Foldable Model

According to Geometry

Ancient Roman Glass D20

Average Blue Gem Dice

Glowy Teal Dice

An Artist's Interpretation: Stained Glass

Updated (August 4th): Added photo captions; added links to Wikipedia for Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.
    Updated (August 6th): Updated pics with more reliable photo location.

Dude why not just write RPG DICE ION MOD

I am half asleep and was like D20 Isokahadawada

great idea by the way

I second the part about an homage to the death of two great people in the RP industry. You might want to flesh this idea out (which parts, how much, etc) to get it in the finals tho.

Dude why not just write RPG DICE ION MOD

I am half asleep and was like D20 Isokahadawada

great idea by the way
    It made you look. Thanks for your sardonic reply.

I second the part about an homage to the death of two great people in the RP industry. You might want to flesh this idea out (which parts, how much, etc) to get it in the finals tho.
    Thanks very much for your second! It's much appreciated! I would dearly love to, but the contest includes a 300-word limit (which some entrants appear to be unaware of) and much of the information would seem rather dry to some folks. Besides, many of the bare facts can be referenced through the web. The goal was also to try and describe the case and I didn't want a history lesson to be more than half my entry.

It also took me a day and half to complete the fold-up model and I'm bushed! Time well spent though as this is a PC I would very much enjoy owning and using to run my games.

AFAIK, they have removed the word limit. It explains this under the submittal questions thread. If they haven't, my ideas are probably too long then

I would actually really like to see this done. I love role playing board games and Still do in fact play DND. If its not picked in the top five there's no reason it wouldn't be one may be able to do it themselves from acrylic blanks and a laser engraver or a dremel with an etching bit and a stencil.

I use to be a case modder back in the day when it was more popular.

The last one looks like the most doable being that it closely resembles stain glass murals which are really fun to make and pretty easy.

all you need would be to cut out the pieces and find some copper wire thick enough to wrap around the edges and a soldering iron with some low led led.

as for the inside you could use parts from any mini atx case and assemble it to your liking. and the big numbers you could find all kinds of those at an art supply store.

Rolling 1-5 means they make the case.
    Rolling 15-20 means you are a runner up.
    Rolling a 14 means you have to put a live squirrel in your pants.

A sheet metal version would be impossible to bend, but that stained glass version has some serious potential!
    -Metal version: two welded halves?

AFAIK, they have removed the word limit. It explains this under the submittal questions thread. If they haven't, my ideas are probably too long then
    Ah, I hadn't seen that, many thanks for the information!

The last one looks like the most doable being that it closely resembles stain glass murals which are really fun to make and pretty easy.

all you need would be to cut out the pieces and find some copper wire thick enough to wrap around the edges and a soldering iron with some low led led.
    My very thought when I saw the artist's interpretation, though, personally speaking, I would prefer to see a Plexiglass treatment as it would most resemble traditional "gem" dice and would be far lighter weight wise. It also seems to me that part of the point of the contest is to accentuate the light weight, power, utility and ease of using the ION without adding "clunk". That's just my take though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information