Thread: #390 - ION Mod Idea by alphabakada

#390 - ION Mod Idea by alphabakada

Okay, I know this is totally insane and I'm not sure I would trust it, but it would be totally cool.

Yes, the water would actually run onto the motherboard.

It would all be possible because of this technology:

Golden Shellback

Based on their prices, I think this would fit within the budget. Connecters on the board would have to be preinstalled and maybe sealed.

I would suggest creating the fountain out of clay and then firing it.

Instead of using water use mineral oil, that way you wont have to seal anything and it wont short or damage any of the circuits.

Well mineral oil might work initially, won't any dust etc over time increase the conductivity and eventually short the board.

What about the stuff used to seal peltier cooling systems, Conformal Coating.
    CrazyPc

Read here
    How To

The site you linked to reeks of 'one man show.' and snake oil. They only have a ten minute guarantee, and not against saltwater.

There's also the issue of liability concerning your design. I doubt they will build something that might kill the contestant... or at least ruin the carpet.

Primered

Might look cool to do, but you would need to enclose it...And honestly, I doubt these ITX boards will hardly generate any heat. They wont be capable of hardcore gaming. Apparently you have to be really lucky and careful to be able to get it to play Blu-Rays... And that seemed only decently possible if you have it running the new Windows 7, which apparently is more stable and faster then XP or Vista. Sounds like Microsoft pulled a miracle out of its ass with this one...I bought the latest issue of CPU and they had a breif article on it from someone who tested the pre release version. Said the thing is so much faster that it may be able to be put onto older machines that were pre XP, to revive them. Why one would want to do that is beyond me hehe.

Yeah, I know it would be iffy as far as reliability. The idea isn't to actually cool the computer, it was just an afterthought. There wouldn't be a huge risk of electrocution since computers are low DC voltage. I think that the sealants mentioned above would be great for sealing the RAM, the drive cables, etc. after the waterproof coating was applied. You must admit that this would make for a great video demonstration of a wicked mod.

hey im doing the fountain pc with mineral oil... oh yeah the system will short circuit cause of water.. and dirt and oil not not good.

Might look cool to do, but you would need to enclose it...And honestly, I doubt these ITX boards will hardly generate any heat. They wont be capable of hardcore gaming. Apparently you have to be really lucky and careful to be able to get it to play Blu-Rays... And that seemed only decently possible if you have it running the new Windows 7, which apparently is more stable and faster then XP or Vista. Sounds like Microsoft pulled a miracle out of its ass with this one...I bought the latest issue of CPU and they had a breif article on it from someone who tested the pre release version. Said the thing is so much faster that it may be able to be put onto older machines that were pre XP, to revive them. Why one would want to do that is beyond me hehe.
    I used this board and installed Windows 7 RC 64bit on it. I ran 3DMark06, and the scores are in this thread: http://www.modders-inc.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3614
    Windows 7 is awesome, I use it on my main computer. I'll be installing the Windows 7 RTM Ultimate 64bit when I get the ISO downloaded, the Technet download is taking a long time, and it keeps failing on me part-way through the download.

On-topic: Yea, you'd have to encase it in some sort of acrylic or plexiglas something, so the water doesn't get contaminated. The only thing in a computer that deals with high voltages is the power supply, and most of these mods will be getting PicoPSU's anyway. The only thing dangerous to humans is the amps. Computer parts deal with high amperage, and you wouldn't want to touch them when they're powered on.

You could always put a filter in it to clean any dust out, that was a hard one. :P

Thread Information