Thread: #396 - ION Mod Idea by davidskier21

#396 - ION Mod Idea by davidskier21

My idea for a case is to have three hard cover books connected together (side-by-side) and the inside would be hollowed out. You could use regular blank hard book covers each a different color (like the example in the picture below). The middle book would have the power button, it would light up when on but should mostly be un-noticeable when off. The Blue-Ray drive would be on the front as shown and preferably it would be a slim one like in laptops. In the back would be the cable hook ups as shown. The overall width should be arround seven inches and probably the length too. I think that this would be a really good case mod because it could easily blend in on a book shelf and is a very creative.

Here is a basic drawing of what it could look like:

I included a colored example aslo:

I quickly made a 3D model of how the computer could look like.

Here is the front:

(Not drawn to scale)

Here is the back:

(Not drawn to scale)

The current design wouldn't work, the Blu-Ray drive would be occupying some of the same space as the motherboard heatsink/RAM. It's a fairly good idea, but you'd have to have extremely thick books to do this the way you have drawn out. Try drawing it to some scale, and having all the parts fit in where they will go properly. This looks like a good mod, especially if it'll be donated to a library after the contest (if chosen).

How about a set of encyclopaedia?

Slimline bluray drives exist....

Primered

Slimline blu rays do exsist, rather expensive though. Apparently the ION board doesnt like blu ray playback... If it was ran on windows 7 you might see a bit of improvement. Stick with DVD roms i think, leave the nice blu ray movies to your dedicated player for your TV.

Like I said I threw the 3D model together quickly, I'm thinking about making another model showing the internal components and how it could be layed out.

He is how the internal components could be layed out, it still only has an overall width of about 7 inches, drawn to scale.

Front:

Back:

The heatsink sticks up slightly further than the RAM does, I just finished making a mod with the Zotac IONITX-A-U, which is exactly the same as this motherboard except the included picoPSU with the A-U. http://www.modders-inc.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3614 for more info on how this board runs on Windows 7.
    The heatsink's around 1.5" tall on this board, so you might need to move the BD drive over a bit. Slimline drives aren't much thinner than regular sized drives, just a lot thinner.

Thread Information