Thread: by passing a mb to start powersupply

by passing a mb to start powersupply

hi i would like to know if i have an ATX powersupply and a case power switch ....... can i connect the green and black wires on the 20 pin directly to the switch by soldering it? i have researched jump starting a powersupply and most say it can be done using a paper clip but i need a more permanent solution, as well as away to turn it back off...... what i am trying to do is run 4 case fans in a case with out a motherboard because my Xbox is going in it. any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. thanks for your time

Yes a momentary switch can be connected to the Green and a Black wire. When the switch is made the circuit is made and the PSU should turn on. Push it again it should break the circuit.

Yes a momentary switch can be connected to the Green and a Black wire. When the switch is made the circuit is made and the PSU should turn on. Push it again it should break the circuit.
    so i wont blow any thing up by doing that ?

Hi, mabye I am using a diffiferent kind of power supply then tazz but when I just tried jumping the green and black wires on an old 20 pin power supply with a momentery power switch from another computer it only stayed on when I held the momentary switch down which makes me think that you will have to go with something like a simple on or off position toggle switch. I would like to think that just about any grade toggle switch would work for you though I am not sure of exact amps, ect for requirements as that is not my area but I am sure someone else who knows more about that can chime in with advice.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDArticles&op=Story&ndar_id=25

We are talking ATX power supplies . But none the less even some of the ATX units require a little bit of a load to power up. He should have no problem connecting the two wires with a momentary switch. Just remember that you cant load it to heavy or you will cause it to crossload.

thanks alot .... i'm going to try it this week end with a cheap cyberlink 420 i have laying around to see if i can do it before i cut up the some what good ps that i want to put in the case

Thread Information