Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSU issue

PSU issue

PSU randomly powers off PC no warning ( long story made short , just basic description) there is a a mod related question here.

based on the below informtaion and some other troubleshotting it was advised the PSU was bad. I'm still wonding MB or ram but..

No name on the PSU but using the Model number found its from Taiwan Youngyear Electronics CO LTD Model PSIV-500-2 (+3.3-32A,+5-47A,+12V-22A,-5V- 0.5A)

Everest voltages
    V-Core -- 1.36V
    +3.3v -- 3.38V
    +5V -- 5.67V
    +12V -- 12.03V
    +5 Standby -- 5.67V

Now for the Mod related question,

Should I atempt to mod/Repair the PSU to try and get the Voltages to more stable levels or should i just toss the PSU and get a new one? Wondering this before attempting full case mod as i don't want to damage anything.

PC specs. Custom built (Low/Mid build)
    OS: Dual Boot Vista 32bit and Windows 7 RC 64bit ( happening in both)
    MB: GA-M61SME-S2 - BIOS Ver F9
    Video Card: only using the onboard ( I know, WHY?)
    CPU: AMD Athlon-64 X2 5000+ not BE
    Ramair of Super*Talent 1GB DDR2-667
    CPU cooling: ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER 64 PRO

PSU issue

A new psu 1000w and 2gb stick (ram) should fix you up.Don't dual boot while testing out your rig,check in bios/system faultier shutdown settings.

PSU issue

@ Sulli - Youngyear Electronics CO LTD Model PSIV-500-2 (+3.3-32A,+5-47A,+12V-22A,-5V- 0.5A)

That has a pretty heavily rated 5V rail which means it's an older unit. I would suggest looking into purchasing a newer unit. The Corsair variants seem to be the top recommended units for a reasonable price.

@ CrackleJackal... Are you serious? A 1000W PSU? Suggesting something so ridiculous for a moderate system like that makes me wonder what your reasoning is.

PSU issue

Thanks Tazz, I figured there was something wrong just couldn't put my finger on it, I read the ratings multiple times and + 5 rail rating never even stuck out to me, but guess thats what you get for paying under $30 for a PSU from the local discount/used electronics store. Time to check the local computer parts store.

Would that PSU still be ok used as a second PSU just to run lights and fans for a case Mod? I got a old full server case I got an idea for after checking out the mods on the site, now if time permits.

CrackleJackal, thanks for the input, and I would love to have a 1000w psu but its just not pratical for this rig as its mainly used for internet and mild gaming right now thats why its still only using the onboard video. This rig isn't currently in testing since the psu has been acting up, i hadn't wanted to risk moding and damaging anything due to the psu.

When i get a change to think about and build my gaming rig a 1000w or more will be there.

PSU issue

@ Sulli - Youngyear Electronics CO LTD Model PSIV-500-2 (+3.3-32A,+5-47A,+12V-22A,-5V- 0.5A)

That has a pretty heavily rated 5V rail which means it's an older unit. I would suggest looking into purchasing a newer unit. The Corsair variants seem to be the top recommended units for a reasonable price.

@ CrackleJackal... Are you serious? A 1000W PSU? Suggesting something so ridiculous for a moderate system like that makes me wonder what your reasoning is.
    I guess he could go with a 650W but if he's gonna beef up his system like more ram,bigger processor,extra hard drive and more fans,he'll already have the ram&psu.The power supply should have a regulator.@ Tazz,what would you suggest on power watts. ops:

PSU issue

@ Sulli - Well its just that computers have changed considerably over the years. They use to require the heavy 5V rails but now require more on the 12V side. Even looking at using something like that for a supplementary unit could still potentially cause it to cross load which might not be good for anything connected to it. Lighting and fans generally won't cause you much grief unless your going excessive (dozens of fans.. or high rated fans).

@ CrackleJackal - I didn't catch any hints at upgrading anything from his original post. Even my Core i7 920 OC'd to 4 GHz, with a GTX295 and 6 GB of mem doesn't require a 1kw unit. His setup could easily be ran on any good 500 - 600W unit easily which would give him room for expansion.

PSU issue

RidiculousAMD2gb stick hint..hint.

PSU issue

RidiculousAMD2gb stick hint..hint.
    crackle.. at the aspect of sounding rude.. im REALLY starting to wonder if you even know anything about computers.. other then the minimal basics.. simply put.. bad advice is worse then no advice at all.
    just because its cool.. doesent mean its "worth it" especially when money is involved.

80% of that computer is pure WASTE.... and is in that tower for the sake of it being up to date tot he second.. and its simply NOT worth the money when a PC HALF that price can do just as good tot he point the mundane buyer would never see the difference.

back to the topic at hand
    i think a 400w would do you just fine for a minimalistic pc.. but as Tazz stated.. a 600w will do great for giving you some upgrade room in the future from a low end pc to a mid range.

im on a 640w and am running dual nvidia 8800gts.. sound board and everything else with no problems what so ever.
    even some cathode lighting.

1000w.. >.< thats if your running quad GPUs.

good luck on the rig and remember to post pix here when you start to mod it.

PSU issue

I guess he could go with a 650W but if he's gonna beef up his system like more ram,bigger processor,extra hard drive and more fans,he'll already have the ram&psu.The power supply should have a regulator.@ Tazz,what would you suggest on power watts. ops:
    Okay not a gangbanger. :lol:

PSU issue

Yes there are some high end rigs that warrant the use of 1kw or there about.

My "ridiculous" part was directed toward the fact that you recommended a 1000W unit for a system that clearly needs about 40% of what you suggested on a good day, not to mention the fact that he didn't show any interest in upgrading. Now if he had stated he was going to upgrade to a dif processor, more mem, and adding a couple of video cards things might be different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information