Thread: Planning my first modded PC!(newbie)

Primered

Planning my first modded PC!(newbie)

Hehe, well I found you guys when you started to advertise the NVidia Ion contest... first off.. Poo on all of you for not liking my ideas Hehe

Anyway, Having never put much thought into computer building and modding before, I found quite the taste for it. So, for now I am in the planning phase of my first true PC...My current one being a stubborn old POS of a laptop..Stubborn because its hanging on and wont quite die...POS cause its old and overheats...(is intense heat over a long time on your groin bad for you?)

What I am currenty planning is a PC based around the Lanbox idea...after looking through as many cases as I could find online, I find myself liking the Thermaltake LanBox the best. Mobile, apparently studily built, modder friendly with its modular trays and what not, plenty of room for its class, and from the reviews I have read, those who use it love it, especially due to its heat dissipation. One key feature I like is that it has plenty of expansion room on its ass for the newer mATX boards that allow SLI. Now, not knowing anyone personally who has one so I can take a look-see...

My first real question for anyone who has one, how much room do you have along the bottom of the inside... once you have the MoBo in? I am looking at some small WaterCooling possibilities, since I plan on using the newer core i7 processors, with likely quite a bit of triple channel ram, so I assume quite a bit of heat will be generated. Anyone have experience with this case? Thanks.

I don't have one personally but I've seen plenty of mods in these. They are a pretty awesome case and I've thought of getting one myself several times. I've seen them jam packed with watercooling stuff so I know it's possible. You just have to be creative with the placement.

Primered

Anyone know where I can find a measurement, blueprint type diagrams for this case? I dont have alot of money to throw around for trial and error, so I want to plan as much of this as I can before I finalize and buy everything. Its a small case, small form factor mATX MoBo that is PACKED with power, using the i7 core...upto 24GB of ram... Even SLI capable...2 GPU slots and even a PCI 16x and 4X... which I assume can be used for things like a sound card and wireless. The MoBo I am currently planning with is this MSI model . The other Intel Quad core Mobos dont seem to offer SLI capabilities or power that the i7 core mobos do, so I want to make sure this baby keeps nice and cool and lasts as long as possible. TAZZ told me in another post that his core i7 runs hot in a full sized case with plenty of fans. In my plan, Its not the number of fans or size, but the application that I want to use. I even plan on using chipset cooling fan/heatsinks, Thermaltakes "Spirit" model is very versatile, not to big.. and is even designed to fit almost any chipset, and is rotatable.

Primered

Just now looked at the downloadable users manual for this case. The website says the case is NOT water cooling cabable..But the damn manual has a provision for the back of the case, where the third fan can be...to have a tab removed to allow coolant tubes run through for a liquid cooling setup, even comes with a rubber tube guard so the metal doesnt eat at it. That actually opens up alot of possibilities for an external setup. Having never used water cooling before, is this a fragile thing to deal with.. as in do you have to be really carefull so that you dont cause a spill or leak water wise? And if you use water cooling, is there some sort of coverage available from the manufacturer of the water cooling setup in case some fault causes a leak and fries your stuff?

Don't assume water cooling always involves just water - there are plenty of additives/alternatives out there which will result in you have a liquid cooled system in which the liquid does NOT conduct electricity. Admittedly, avoiding a leak altogether is the best option but these liquids can (altho at a cost) reduce the damage caused if you DO get a leak.

It isn't a perfect solution - none of your components will take particularly well to being doused in even a non-conductive fluid but it is a little less hazardous.

I personally do not (nor do I plan to ever) use watercooling so this is NOT gospel but I've definitely read about these alternative liquids and read about them in use so they are available.

There's no reason why an internal/external system would be any more or less prone to problems - as long as things like the holes in the case are done properly so they aren't sharp enough to cut the tubing etc. There is, of course, a greater chance of external tubes being knocked loose but if you're careful that shouldn't really be an issue either.

A quick google for non conductive water cooling brought up a stack of links including stuff like Primochill and Innovatek non-conductive fluids - available here in the UK for about £10 ($16 US for a 32oz bottle) - you'll obviously have to work out how much you'll need for your full system.

Primered

Is what I thought. the opening in the back of the case is metal, but it comes with a rubber guard thing just for that reason. I figured there would be other fluids out there for the cooling purpose... remember hearing that mineral oil is non conductive...But apparently isnt to good for heat dissipation. Gah still looking for a measurement break down of the case so I can start planning where everything will fit.

Primered

Update, here is a image for the PC chassis in question:

Also, here is a link to the product page that shows quite a bit of handy/neat info and images for this cases abilities. THIS THING ROCKS

http://www.petrastechshop.com/coad.html
    Ignore the dyes. Most experienced builders use distilled water from the grocery store, some PT nuke, and a little silver in the loop. You can change the water every month for years on just the one bottle of biocide.

Thread Information