Thread: For those of you with 3D software experiance

Primered

For those of you with 3D software experiance

Hey, I saw a few people in the ION Contest area who had used 3D programs like the google 3D software and what not, who had loaded pre made models of various computer parts and what not, some getting very specific. I have no experience with that stuff, but am trying to plan a build.. And I need to see if certain parts will fit with others...

The case I am working with is limited in space, the Thermaltake LanBox . I plan on using a newer mATX board that takes advantage of Triple Channel and the core i7... also has SLI capability. I am trying to see if after I have all the essential hardware in Drives, HD, GPU.... See how much room I have to play with, so I can see how big of a CPU heatsink I can fit, and if I can fit ram cooling..chipset cooling.. etc. I am an extreme uh...err.. whats the word.... (hater?) of heat... And since this small form factor has the potential to be a powerhouse, I want to be ready for heat.. knowing first hand with my current laptop how bad heat is... Already its killed my battery..gone through soo many cooling pads... and now I think my ram is damaged... Anyway.. I want to fiddle around and see what I can fit and where... Hoping to get a watercooling setup going, from what I have seen of the current kits, I may be able to fit something in here. having never deal with watercooling before, I have no idea what the dos and donts are. Thankies!

PS Anyone with experience with the aforementioned case and tips is GREATLY WELCOME!

I don't think your going to have any issues with modules like the Dominators, Reapers, or Vipers but the CPU cooler will be limited. With the PSU directly over the CPU you're going to be limited to a low profile style cooler.

But to be 100% serious, I'm not feeling the 90mm intake and 2x 60mm exhaust fans. My i7 w/ GTX 280 runs hot enough in the Cosmos-S with 6 120mm fans. I would really hate to see how hot it would get in something that tight on space.

Primered

ah...See that's what I was thinking too. It comes with 2 basic 60mm fans for the back, with a third open slot that would be above the expansion slots.If you look at the case images you can see where it mounts. From what I have read of reviews, the third fan is a must have. See, I was actually planning on getting 3 fans of 60mm that were the highest flow rate possible...and there are some whopper blowers out there..60mm fans topping out around 40 CFM. Now, I have also found some 60mm to 80mm adapters...and if you can fit them in this case, 80mms can offer even more flow rate...This was one reason why I wondered about the 3d software, to see if someone cloned the cases measurements into a module that I could fiddle around with. The other thing is, im not sure if the processor will be near the front of the case, where there is potentially more vertical room under the drive bays, or like you said, towards the rear and under the modular PSU. Due to this, I was toying with the idea of using either a certain heat sink from Thermaltake...can't remember the name of it, but its the one that has two copper coils in the shape of upside down pizza slices, sandwhiching a led lit fan. I am not at my home pc so I can't link it just yet...Its fairly obvious, and its vertical measurement is about 5in tall...It might fit depending on where you fit it. The second, better idea were to get and fit some sort of compact water cooling setup. The water cooling blocks are much smaller, but you then also have to find room for a pump...tank...and then the radiator. Do you know if there is room left along the bottom for these? Im fairly sure I can mount the radiator fan somewhere on the case...That's what I need to know hehe.

simply put your not now.. nor EVER will get your questions answered using a 3d program.

first off.. its very unlikly that most the parts your asking about wont even be readily available for you to manipulate with without making them yourself.. and unfortunatly.. they wont be to scale..

secondly.. to even use the programs most the decent ones take months to learn.. even basic ones.

simply put.. only doing forum work.. and the math yourself will you find out..because in 3d.. one item can be scaled to the size of a school buss or as small as a pin head.. and still retain its shape.

your just goign to have to do the math the old fashioned way and like all puzzles.. just see if it fits.. by the numbers.. or by trial and error.

Primered

Yea.. Figured that much. If I could get some sort of "Blue Print" type of diagram showing the measurements of the case, then I would be a happy clam. If I knew I could fit two 80mm fans side by side where the two 60mm fans are using adapters... or if I can fit this cpu heatsink which has an adapter available for use on the new i7 cores....all these questions...What I am going to try is emailing thermaltake and seeing if they have available any diagrams showing a breakdown and measurements for their lanbox. Sure some may say, just buy the damn thing and work from there.. But I aint wasting money on multiple shipments when I find out this or that doesnt fit. I like numbers.. I like planning hehe... and ... I dont exactly have a huge fluffy budget to work with ^_^.

Also, does anyone know of a good, reliable online modding site that sells a good selection of 90mm fans? I have found 92mm.. but no 90mm... If I can I want to replace the 90mm intake fan on the front of the case with a higher output variation. Kinda hoping this 90mm fan isnt a proprietary type thing.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=46003

^Post one has the Google Sketchup component library. They don't have the lanbox, but there's full collection of parts.

I disagree about not being able to use 3d software. On my current project I'm doing the dimensions and layout completely in SU.

90mm isn't a standard size. I don't see why you can't add 2 mm in there, but I'm betting they typo'd.

the reason why the 3d mock up doesent work is because theres no reall way to gaurentee wheny our making something in 3d that its "up to scale" because there really isent a set deffined "inch" or other common denominator of unified measurement in 3d. you make an item in 3d .. say the memory stick.. then.. the gpu... both by themselvs look fine and to scale.. but when you get them togeather.. you find that the memory is as big as the gpu.. and one has to be scalled down.. the other scaled up just to fit in the mobo.. and by simply pressing S then dragging the mouse.. that scale is changed up or down.. again.. its not a gaurenteed viable solution unless you KNOW for a FACT that each component you are workign with in 3d was designed SPECIFICALLY togeather off a unified scale. and unfortuantly.. most "freebies" arent like that.

simply put.. go to the manurfactures website.. they WILL have the items dimensions on there for ALL their products. and go from there. not saying its impossible.. just.. not easily likly.

In 3dsm I just set the units to whatever I want - in the case of the Bonsai mock-up, I built everything using the millimeter as a unit of measurement and scaled off a quarter, nickel and dime for visual reference.

Surprisingly, of the SU components I imported into max, most of them were scaled properly so must have been built using proper measurements.

Primered

Uhm yea stormbringer... I tried using the google program... Kinda pointless to use it witha mouse I think, but even I found a way to manually set the length of each line.. diamter.. etc... Pretty much any measurement of what you draw to say inches. As long as every single object is set to the same measurement, thats all you need.Visably it may not be to scale, but the math part of it will be. I only need google sketchup for the second part of it really. Once everything is set to the same scale, I can move things around and check to see if anythign will conflict.. I.E. wil a cpu cooler be too tall and hit the bottom of the PSU or drive cages... That kinda thing. I REALLY hope I get a measured and marked mock up of the LANBOX.. I have an idea for a liquid cooling setup for this baby. Thinking about keeping as much of the hardware propriatary to Thermaltake.... such as the liquid cooling and fan controll. They dont have much of a selection of case fans... So finding some high output case fans will go outside their brand.

Question... As far as the front 90mm fanm anyone got any ideas as far as if I can replace it with two smaller fans.. and two... is a 90mm fan the same thing as a 92mm fan... As in, when they refer to the fan in the specs sheet and say its a 90mm.. are they just rounding to a flat number?

Secondly.. As far as cutting the material of the case, whats the best cleanest way to make a hole in the common metal used for cases such as this, in this case i belive its aluminum. I have an idea on mounting the radiators for the liquid coolers externally... being that the base level single fan 120mm radiator seems not to be enough for a i7. I might get around to doing a basic drawing of how I want the tubes and radiators mounted... Plan on using the Tt fluid tank thats takes up a 5.25 bay. Having a larger tank like that would allow the fluid more time to cool down before its pumped back to the CPU again.

Thread Information