Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M-I Modders with cutting tools?

Primered

M-I Modders with cutting tools?

I think I heard before that one or more of M-I's modders have access to some sort of cutting machine.. want to say laser cutter or die cutter... No idea what those are in truth... Just understand they are a cleaner more precise way for custom cuts into metal. Anyway, I an planning out a Tt LanBox based computer mod, and am working on ideas on how to alter the top panel and or side panels to allow some of my ideas to work. Would I be able to commision someone to do some custom cuts for me(if its possible) I would obviously send in the panels from the case..Likely to open up the topmost panel to give ventilation access, as well as allowing maintanence for the liquid cooling system. I plan on using a resiviour(this browser here doesnt seem to ahve spell check damnit) that takes up a drive bay(Found Here) Since it has a fill port on its top, it would make sence to not have to pull the thing out so you can fill it, risking popping loose the tubes and setting your computer's inner goodies to a nice simmering boil. Adding additional vents and or a fan mount to the top..such as being able to mount the Tt TMG 2 Dual radiator setup. As it is shown it can be a standalone sitting on your desk... But my whole idea is based around picking this case up and being on the move. Mounting this to the top of the case would be preferred, be it flat with the fans blowing vertically, or mounted so that it sits as shown in teh pic, just to the top of the case...though the latter would be hard to do with the handle in the way.

Ahh getting to much into this....short version, where/who can I goto for help on getting some custom cuts made...I have a dremmel with lotsa handy little bits.. But...doctors dont use bonesaws for every cut they need to make, now do they? ^_^

Primered

Oohh almsot forgot.

Again I have never done custom modding or fabricating with a case before, so I only know what I see from others like those who frequent this site....

Anyway, I am not sure how strong/stable a sheet of aluminum such as the top panel of the case would be, especially with more sections being cut out of it.. But how durable is it when it comes to welding/soldering? Say.. adding a panel or support of additional metal to reinforce the top panel to increase its stength.. and even allow you somethign to work with cable managment wise(hanging ties from) Is something like this feasable.. needed.. or even recommended?

There's nothing you can't do with a dremel - if you're stubborn enough!!!!

Lol - no seriously - there are better ways - I can't help you with who can help you but I did want to mention one thing you may not be aware of - welding aluminum is a whole different beast to welding steel - I can't say exactly how (not much information here, is there *worried look*) but I think it involves different gases/heat levels etc - it definitely isn't as straightforward.

Primered

yea I figured as much...I know aluminum is a softer more pliable metal...having worked with it a little when I had a hobby rc truck (E-MAXX) You could replace the various plastic body parts with aluminum or even titanium. Anyway...I figured there was some way of merging the metal for a safe and reliable hold.

Oh there is, no doubt about that. I used to work as the office manager for an auto body repair centre and just remember reading over and over on insurance company repair authorisations that by accepting the job we were confirming that we had the correct equipment to weld both aluminium and hi-strength steel. We didn't lol - but we knew where to borrow it *grin*

It's definitely do-able - just might end up being something you do as much of as possible - prep, measuring, cutting etc, then have to seek help with that final stage...

Primered

Thus why I am asking here hehe. If anyone has experiance with both cutting and adding to a computer case that is aluminum... I am most likely to find them here! hehe

There are so many way to cut a case, I don't even know where to begin on giving advice. You can do amazing things with just a file and some drilled holes. You just need to make sure you have the metal supported underneath while working on it.

Primered

Of course, I figured that making straight cuts and basic things woulld be no problem...but what I am curious is about intracate stuff...small things? For example, in anothers post in this forum, they are doing a side window on their case that is an outline of a wolf howling up at the moon...having a brain fart on the posters name...how do you do cuts like that? Dremels are rather limited due to their short shaft length and long disks...

Before you go looking online for people to do it for you, you should check locally to see if you can have it done, it will be much cheaper then not having to ship it. You can laser cut it, but usually they charge you a base fee and then a fee for how long it takes to cut it. A die and press would be a little out of the way I think. I have some experience with using a laser. The one I used you create a drawing of your design (Corral is the best program for this) all hair-line lines are vector cut and anything wider is etched (on the combo setting(vector cutting and etching)). The drawing should be to scale (the paper size is a little bigger than the pannel) and it should be aligned on the left and top sides. The way the laser I used worked is that you print it like a sheet of paper but select the laser and then you set the cutting properties. The laser has a list of jobs (things that were "printed&#34 and you select the one you want to execute.

Hope this information helps you in some way.

Primered

Ahh see thats what I thought. Wasnt too sure if this kinda of thing was readily available. I live out in Iowa, and well, there is alot of CNC machining and stuff, but I kinda doubt that I would find anyone in this kind of business.. Likely would find some factory or something small who does something totally different and may be able to adapt.. but I doubt they would go out of their way to do something different heh. If it ever comes down to it and I have the budget for shipping and paying someone to cut a design into my case panel.

Heres a second question since I have a few peoples attention.. Can you reccomend any good sites that sell "computer modding" items... Themed for people who mod computers. Places you go for your projects? I have like 2 decent sites I have found outside of Tiger an Egg... But they are limited...Where do you guys go for your computer modding goodies?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information