Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: #418 - ION Mod Idea by Cheapskate

#418 - ION Mod Idea by Cheapskate

This ION Mod idea was picked by Pro Modder Bill “Overkill Bill” Owen to create. Submitted by Cheapskate

-The idea was: Why hide such an awesome platform? Make it cooler than the TV it sits under, (or bolted on the wall next to.)
    The entire case would be made from laser-cut 1/4" and 1/8" plexiglas. Odd shapes would be built from layers glued together. There is some milling involved with some of the parts, like the baseplate.

-The base is 2 layers of 1/4" UV green plexiglas and 2 layers of transparent black, roughly 18" square. The layers would be glued together, and then the slots cnc milled out. The Nvidia logo would have to be made from lasercut layers and glued in place.

-The model still needs some tweaking, but the shapes can be exported for cutting. I originally built this around the Pico board, so the thicknesses are off right now. The original concept was something like a mechanical octopus, with cables and even hoses running out of all the holes.
    The 120mm fan would be slowed down as much as possible.

-Green/blue components are attached to the bottom half. Reddish/orange parts to the top. The bright red screws hold the two halves together.

-I swiped a similar Zotac motherboard and fan model from the Sketchup computer parts library.

-The top half of the core is in brown.

-The motherboard tray also houses a laptop optical drive and 3 SSDs. Parts are minimal, but materials will run about $300.

-And here's some alternate color/material renders. The core here is metal.

-This one is UV red plexiglas and metal.
    There's a lot of fitting, gluing, and sanding involved, but it should make a nice show piece. The base doubles as an anti-theft device.

congrats.. so far a the ones i guessed for he top 5 are hitting thier mark.

Congrats! I knew this one was gonna win. Bill Owens is gonna have fun with this one! haha!

With a title like that, how could Bill refuse? :P

Congrats Cheapskate. I can't wait to see this one come to fruition.

Grats Cheapskate! Looking forward to see this come together (:

Thanks, Everyone! This is kick-butt!
    Sorry about the naming, Boddaker. I was being my usual cheeky self. I thought you guys would chose and build ONE of the five.
    This is cooler. Five top-level builds at once.

Why am I not surprised to see this one up there with the top 5? . Seeing this getting built should be interesting.

I'm so glad this got picked! Congratulations! Perfect name! this will be awesome to watch as it gets put together.

Something about this mod just screamed Top 5. Glad the modders heard! Excellent design I must say!

congrats dude, i knew it would make it

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information