Thread: Weird noise

Weird noise

So after gaming last night, i start noticing this weird recurring noise in my desktop.

It sounds like a fan starting up, lasts a second, then dissapears, only to start again a few seconds later.

I used EVGA prescision to ramp up the SLi cards i installed a little to see if it was one of them, but i still heard it.

Any ideas?

Weird noise

Well it' probably is a fan. Maybe your PSU? IF not maybe your CD rom is spinning up for some reason. You got a disk in it?

Weird noise

I checked for discs when it first happened, and sadly, no discs are in the drives.

All the fans are visably spinning .... is there anything i should watch/notice/look for to try to see if something is going wrong?

All components are less than a full year old ....

Weird noise

Whenever I get a strange fan noise in a PC I tend to open it up and, one at a time stop the fans spinning by putting my finger on the centre of the fan - only for a second or two - then work through them one by one until I isolate the offending fan. If you can't get your finger onto the centre part (fan guard etc) I use a paintbrush and push the bristles through to stop the blades. Stopping the fan for a second or two isn't going to make whatever it's cooling overheat, not that quickly - nor should there be any risk of burning out the motor in that short a period - the paintbrush bristles also shouldn't damage the fan blades. Use a decent quality paintbrush though - cheap ones shed bristles way too easily and you don't need loose fibres in your PSU for example....

Master Modder

Weird noise

what psu do you have?? i have a zalman that randomly does that when i game!

Weird noise

what psu do you have?? i have a zalman that randomly does that when i game!
    Hmmmm ... maybe that's it?

I have a coolermaster 850 .... and i first noticed it after gaming for a couple of hours.

I turned it off today (usually runs 24/7) and I've yet to hear it so far .... :?

Weird noise

Give all your heatsink's a good dig out with the paint brush that slaveofconvention mentioned earlier. But get a screenie of your temps first, then see how much they have improved after the dusting, you'll be amazed!!

Have fun all,

Weird noise

It's most likely a fan, perhaps a ball bearing has come loose which is known to make a loud vibrating noise when spinning fast enough.
    thats a link to what it sound like, if thats what your hearing then its a fans ball bearing issue. if not, it could be your hard dist drive failing, or our optical drive checking itself maybe.

Weird noise

Well, I'm PRETTY SURE it's the fan on the back of the case that blows out above the video cards.

I have a Thermaltake Armor + MX, VH8000 case, and i feel the fan change vibration when i hear the noise.

THANKS TO ALL for the great help/suggestions, and i guess i'm gonna have to visit the local stores and see what they have in 120 mm fans. :wink:

Thread Information