Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portal: After the Explosion by mcnaryxc

Portal: After the Explosion by mcnaryxc

EDIT: Here's the work log on Modders-Inc. http://www.modders-inc.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=39556#395 56

Here's my first mod I've ever done.

The case mod was created using the idea of the ASEC (Aperture Science Enrichment Center) case and the Companion Cube. Only thing that was a problem to me is that they are already made into case mods and I wanted to be original. So, not to spoil, but for those who have finished the game (and love it ), we know that GlaDOS blows up the entire ASEC building. I wanted to replicate what the ASEC case and CCube would look like after the building blows up. In this case, the CCube is stuck in the case.

I'll show you some before and after pictures and some of the features of the case. I don't have the pictures of what the case looked like before, but it was a very beat up beige box that needed some serious lovin'.

Before:

After:

Here's some light vs. dark photos of the hidden messages on the case:
    Lights on:

Lights off:

Lights on:

Lights off:

Also, thought I'd show you a comparison between the ASEC case and my blown up ASEC case. (The original ASEC case is not mine, but someone on [H].)

There are lights that flicker and flash, so here's a Youtube video of the case in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqIGoPLWjAo[/video]]

To check out my full worklog and how I did everything, head over my work log on Overclock.net:
    http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-work-logs/412824-completed-portal-after-explosion-ccube.html

I've also done a L4D Workstation that I'll post if I get enough people to see my work and want to see that one as well. Another thing that should be noted is that this whole thing was made with simple parts. No CNC machines, no complex tools. Just a jigsaw, drill, dremel and sander. I was trying to show that the average modder can still make a good mod with simple parts and a free beige box.

As for accolades, it was MOTM over at Overclock.net and I got 2nd place in PDXLAN13 Case Mod Contest. The person who beat me: Boddaker's BSG case mod. :P

Thanks for looking! :mrgreen:

Master Modder

definatly orginal thats for sure...its not my kind fo case due to the fact it doesnt cover the pc completely, but it is kinda of intresting, i like it well done!

I love it! I like all the little details you put in, especially the UV writing. Awesome case

definatly orginal thats for sure...its not my kind fo case due to the fact it doesnt cover the pc completely, but it is kinda of intresting, i like it well done!
    Thanks. If you don't like that style, then my L4D mod isn't your style either. It's a more extreme version of an open case. And really, it looks really good in person too.

I love it! I like all the little details you put in, especially the UV writing. Awesome case
    Thanks! I thought the UV writing would add that Portal-esqe feel to it, especially with it being hidden and revealed with the lighting.

I'm sorry.... but I *LOVE* this case!

I love all the touches! Very cool!

Nice mod!

When I saw the first couple of images I knew I had seen it some where...says to self "I think I saw a pic of it in CPU mag" and then when I saw the "Beavers" rug...hmmm Oregon...PDXLAN...it all came together.

Dude we would REALLY like to see your work log here! After all we are a modding site and it is the best place to post your stuff! After all Modders-Inc.com did get voted as one of the TOP 100 Sites for 2009 by PC Magazine! http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2350567,00.asp ;-)

That is awesome. Love the UV writing as well. I love the spin you put on the Aperature Science mod.

I'm sorry.... but I *LOVE* this case!

I love all the touches! Very cool!
    Thanks! Don't be sorry!

Nice mod!

When I saw the first couple of images I knew I had seen it some where...says to self "I think I saw a pic of it in CPU mag" and then when I saw the "Beavers" rug...hmmm Oregon...PDXLAN...it all came together.

Dude we would REALLY like to see your work log here! After all we are a modding site and it is the best place to post your stuff! After all Modders-Inc.com did get voted as one of the TOP 100 Sites for 2009 by PC Magazine! http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2350567,00.asp ;-)
    Thanks! The reason I haven't been posting my work log for this mod everywhere is because of two reasons. One, it was my first mod ever so I needed a place to start so it was Overclock.net. Two, I won MOTM at Overclock.net due to being exclusive to their forum so I didn't know if it was ok to post my work log anywhere else in fear of losing my MOTM title. I asked the MOTM coordinator and they said that it was no big deal after the contest to do that. So, I'll be posting it here pretty soon in another thread.

I'm guessing you want this in the worklog area right? Even though it's already finished?

That is awesome. Love the UV writing as well. I love the spin you put on the Aperature Science mod.
    Thanks! That guy from [H] helped me a lot with the Aperture Science logos because, IIRC, his wife is a graphic designer and made a vector image of the logos. And, he was nice enough to let me have a copy of the images.

Master Modder

im intrested in seeing the work log for sure, and just because its not my style doesnt mean i dont like it , l4d you say?? i wana see!!!

L4D case mod,... why ya holding back the good sh*t!

Show it!

If I was a puppy I would have already pissed myself from the sheer exicitement and thought of seeing this L4D mod.

Oh no,...drip...damn!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information