Thread: Optimal Video Card settings?

Optimal Video Card settings?

Do I just leave the settings on my video cards at default or are there well known tweaks I should make?

I don't understand Aliasing and that other stuff.

One system has a Radeon HD 3870 X2 1GB

The other has a Radeon HD 4890 1GB

And the next one I'll use in my work area will have my older GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB

best to leave it as is if you dont know what those settings are. {google helps wonders in learning}

those settings for the most part are hardware overrides for all the other games and programs you use.
    problem with this is if the game isent codded for those settings it can make the game unstable.

simply put.. leave them as they are.. and change them individually in each games "graphics" options instead of mucking with the cards coded options.

and again.. googling does wonders for learning that AAx8q means tweak guides info on most of what the games settings are.. this is relevant because alot of its settings are also on the gpu. this is the tweak guide describing what AA is and its subsettings.

happy reading and hope it helps

I have my 4870 slightly overclocked but not with anything special... I just used the automatic overclock in the Catalyst software - it claims to change a setting, stress test, change it again, stress test etc till it finds an error, then step back one step to the max stable settings - I've never had a problem and I think my card is running with about a 15-20% overclock (I'm at work right now so can't check)

Yep most of the "self" overclocking stuff does a good and safe job. I have found that the best tweaks are within your game. Each game is different so the settings will react different in each.

Thread Information