Thread: mATX cases and Power Supplies?

Primered

mATX cases and Power Supplies?

I have a question. I am intent on designing my first modded case using a rather unique and awsome case I have found. PC Design Labs dont seem like a mainstream group, but they have a custom PC design that just rocks. Anyway, most cases, especially smaller cases, have restrictions as far what size power supply you use. What are the main power supply sizes and their differences? I have seen some different "labels" and dont know how to tell or what to look for. If the case says its compatable with ATX power supplies, what do I look for to make sure it fits? I have seen power supplies that say ATX/BTX... as well as ATX/EPS. What should I look for label wise, or should I just be safe and look up the measurements?

You're pretty much set for 99% of PSUs if it'll take a standard ATX power supply. The only thing you really need to watch out for are the oversized ones - not an issue unless you're looking at very powerful ones like 1000w etc - if you're going to be using something more mainstream, in the 5-800 watt range, which is more than enough to power all but the most awesome multi graphics card machines, you don't really need to worry too much... Even the oversized ones MAY fit - all depends on the amount of space between the power supply and whatever happens to be in front of it - usually CD drive bays...

Primered

Good. The case I am intending to use is the QMirca case that has been custom designed by PC Design Labs.. who seem kind of small time/ community based. From what I have read, they custom make on a short term basis depending on orders. They have apparently revised their design several times based on community support, making it big enough to house the massive cards, such as the GTX 295s.. as well as being the only case that gives you plenty of room for those cards as well as a tall, hefty CPU cooler. Bit expensive, but man does it incorporated some awesome ideas while not making it a massive case.

As far as length goes for the PSU, I think I will be safe since it separates the PSU and Drives on the upper level and keeps everythign else down below.. I do plan on getting at least a 1000W PSU since I will be going SLI with two 260s, while for cooling I plan to use 3 massive 120mm server grade case fans that push a massive 250+ CFM of air. TO put in perspective, these fans run about 7000rpms and push 250CFM of air, while the common silent running fans that most everyone prefers run in the teens, from 800-1800RPM, or less. These badass's will run noisy, but with some extras, including a built in noise dampening system in the case, as well as a fan control system and noise reduction, should reduce the noise while I wont have to run at full throttle if I incorporated some control system.

In short, will any high end PSU that shows ATX fit in this? Length wise I should be able to play around with, but are their PSU units that are more "Fat" if you will?

ATX is the standard. An EPS PSU is like a normal power supply but it also has a 8 pin connector that plugs into the motherboard for dual core and up CPU's and for server boards. BTX was a standard that Intel was trying to push that redesigned the motherboard, which I think it needs, but it did not catch on very well.

It pretty much boils down what wattage you want and the length of the PSU. A normal PSU is about 5.9" x 3.4" x 6.5" but some the larger wattage PSU's are longer; up to a few inches longer. The width and height don't change much and if they do it is very minimal.

Read this and you might get the answers you need
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

The link you provided also answers your question....

"the latest 700W+ power supplies up to 7" long"

Like AF said, height and width don't vary worth worrying about - so just check the length before you buy.

Having said that, I saw a mod being done in one of these somewhere (can't recall where) and that guy ended up using some kind of extender to have his PSU sticking out the back by an inch or so - but he was putting at least 2 dual 120mm radiators in there...

Primered

Is the "up to 7in long" just a rough estimate? This is like 7.something... Meh, if it sticks out a little bit in the back.. meh.

Have any of you have experience with modifying a components built in LEDs? I was at radioshack the other day, and you can buy just the LEDs there... I assume its a simple matter of cutting out/off the old led and soldering the desired color in place.. What I want to do, is when I get the power supply I have in mind, the Kingwin Mach 1 series... They have a large blue lit fan on top...and the modular plugs are lit too... I want to switch out the blue for a vibrant green, want to go with a theme of Black/Green. I havent done that level of alteration on a premade product, and am not sure if I should. How can you tell what level power...watts amps and volts.. a LED has, and how to best match that? And do any of you have suggestions on the best place to go for this, especially for those who have experience with it?

Thread Information