Thread: My shopping list, please leave opinions on my selection

My shopping list, please leave opinions on my selection

So I'm a newbie here and to the whole case mod thing and to building my own computer from scratch so I figured on posting here and figuring out what you guys would think.

First off I already have a spare hard drive, case and dvd/cd-r

So here we go
    Raidmax 630w PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152035
    Foxconn Micro ATX Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186167
    Intel Core 2 duo E7500: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115056
    2Gb of Kingston Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134488
    XFX GeForce GTS 250: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150357
    Total cost with shipping $415 from Newegg

The computer will be housed in an Apevia X-Cruiser (which will be modded since the front bezel is missing) and will be used for gaming/media

Anyways my main goal here for this is to learn about how well I can trust the brands I've picked as well as how great/bad of a deal I'm getting from newegg.

Updated Sep 20th @8am

So long as you're not planning on overclocking it's probably a pretty good setup.

You might want to raise the PSU from 500W to at least 650W though IMO.

I've had no issues at all from Newegg and I would be more than happy to recommend them to anyone, as I've already done on several occasions.

I would also consider moving up to 64 bit from 32 at some point and maxing out your RAM. It makes game play a lot smoother and seamless.

Just my opinions and they're subject to review.

Clear Coat

seriously consider moving to a normal atx instead of Micro - usually gives you much better upgrade paths. I personally wouldnt recommend 2 memory slot board to anyone except a daily internet/email/document cruiser (and then I would recommend prebuilt)

just my 2pence.

um.. upgrading the psu isent a suguestion.. its a REQUIREMENT.. your gt 250 is twice the work horse as the 8800GT i got in my compy and it wont even fire up with anything less then 600w.. in fact it just beeps repeatedly.

and if you plan on doing SLI with those.. then youll likely want an 800w

i know jack about the intel cores.. been an AMD man for ages now.. but this is one of the things youll not want to skimp on.

2 gigs of ram these days will run most programs not not effeciently.

the computer you have there.. it will run World of Warcraft.. will likely even run crysis.. but dont expect the best frame rates one it

the best advice i can give from MY experiences is this.. IF you know what your looking for... then you get what you pay for..

go to walmart or a book store.. and every other month or so.. some PC specialized magazine holds an issue that "teaches" how to build a computer from scratch.. and what parts and code names you should know and what to look out for. ill not name any mags here.. because i dont want to be a name dropper.. and theres literaly 10+ great mags out there with a huge volume of info.. if you just look.

and i mean a PC magazine.. NOT a gaming mag nor software mag.
    i was buying these hardware catalogue/guide special issues for a bot a year while i was savign up to get my comp so i KNEW what i was looking for.

new egg isent.. bad... they have some good sales now and then... but dont buy a computer from them as a whole.. the e machiene deals they offer are no better then walmarts.

first thing you need to learn when buying.. is 80$ of the cost for most computer parts from most places.. is the brand name.

walmart.. the former circuit city.. best buy... all jack up the price substantially for the parts.. and even more so for whole computers.

i got mine from cyber power... paied 1500 for it... not bad.. my ONLY regret was i got the os pre installed instead of buying the OS myself.
    you get a cheap copy of micro suck instead of a legitimate disk.. and for the same price.. you can go anywhere and buy a real copy of windows.

but my point is.. the SAME week i ordered my computer.. i got the sunday paper.. dell and best buy were having sales in thier stores on computers... thier "top" of the line computers were a bit over 3300$... and were LESS powerfull then my computer hardware wise.. worse GPUs.. less memory.. smaller HDs.. slower processer.. and mine had a SEXY case. and i paied over 50% less because there was no mark up.

a high end computer that runs about 2000-2500 through parts.. skyrockets to over 7000$ through dell. and is why attack of the show and call for help on G4 when it ran suguested never buy from dell unless you were just going for the low end machienes.

so.. do your research....
    look about.. and take notes.

and yes.. new egg isent too bad.. ive bought 4 gigs of my 800 speed ram from new egg for only 60$.. and got my second 8800gt from them for only 90 when the first one i had got 2 weeks earlier from best buy was on SALE for 150$.. just know to keep an eye out for that sale price.. otherwise your going to be paying just as much as other stores

and NEVER get computer ANYTHING.. from ebay.

um.. upgrading the psu isent a suguestion.. its a REQUIREMENT.. your gt 250 is twice the work horse as the 8800GT i got in my compy and it wont even fire up with anything less then 600w.. in fact it just beeps repeatedly.
    It might be more of a workhorse but that doesn't mean it draws that much more power. The 250's power consumption isn't all that much more than a 8800GT's. The GTX250 calls for a PSU that has a combined 12V rating of 26A. The Seasonic that he selected has a combined rating of 34A. Although I would suggest going with something a little newer even if it means bumping up a few Watts and price. The newer units are more efficient and will give you more headroom for future upgrades.

@ DFStormbringer - If I recall correctly, the 8800GT's (various brands) all had issues with power back when they came out. I had no problem running my 8800GTS SLI config on 600W.

Thanks for the input guys.

DF you sound like your ranting a bit there.
    While this may be my first scratch build I am not without knowledge of shopping around, plus I'm not looking for some powerhouse that can play all current games on max settings at a high resolution.

I'd also like to point out that my previous comp (it was a gateway gt5404 with 2.8ghz dual core 2gbs of ram and an 8500gt) was capable of doing what I needed it to, the cpu and ram rarely ever went up past 50% usage and it was able to play games like Crysis just fine albeit on low settings.

Though I will agree that I probably should update the power supply.

Edit: alright changed the PSU, not sure if thats better or not

Thread Information