Thread: Secondary GPU for PhysX?

Primered

Secondary GPU for PhysX?

Heya, heres a new question. Since using a mATX board and SLI is hard to do.. and if you do it, it usually leaves room for nothing else expansion wise... I read in several mod logs that some people like to use a lesser (GF9xxx series) graphics cards solely for the use of boosting PhysX performance...Taking the load off of the main/primary GPU. Can anyone tell me, or point me in the right direction as far as finding out how much of a gain this is, and if it is worth the money of a secondary GPU? I still think PhysX should sell their own solo card like they used to.. but hey. My board is Intel's latest mATX board for the core i5 CPU and has a second 8x PCI Express slot... Not to versed on the rules and what not of SLI setups.. but I think when you have a 16x and an 8x thats hybrid SLI right? I would also assume two 16x's would perform better? Anyway, I plan on using a single GPU, likely the 295 from XFX...mainly cause I like its color and so far have not built up an opinion of whos better then who. Anyway..Should I bother with getting a second lesser card for PhysX purposes.. and if so which card should I get?

PS...Shouldnt M-I take down the banner at the top of the page inviting people to enter the ION contest.. since.. you know.. you cant enter anymore? lol

Master Modder

Secondary GPU for PhysX?

unless your using a low end main gpu then theres no point in using a second gpu, (unless sli-ing) i use a gtx 260 as a main and tryed a second 9x gpu for physx and it was ALOT worse for some odd reason...so untill it becomes worth it i wouldnt recommend you even bothered with it mate, of course unless you get something like a 8600 as your main gpu lol

Primered

Secondary GPU for PhysX?

I was reading this in I think last months CPU magazine where there were like 5 different builds.. EAch one unique in their own way.. two of them opted to have a third graphics card outside the SLI setup and solely use it for PhysX... I assume there is a way to change the settings for PhysX somewhere to tell it which cards to use and not use. The 295 is powerful.. Just going through my options since my board has a second 8x slot...Looking at it.. makes me wonder if its a cost effective way to give SLI performance wihtout a full x16 slot..Any comment on this?

Master Modder

Secondary GPU for PhysX?

well...i have to be honest im not 100% sure but ive used 2 8800gt in sli mod with both slots goin down to 8x, it worked fine consider the amount of power you have anyway chances are it would be worth the sli mod, no matter if its 8x or 16x sli....

Thread Information