Thread: Case Window Etching/Logos?

Primered

Case Window Etching/Logos?

I meant to post this question a long while back..But I have been toying with the idea of modding the side window or windows of a computer case and having it so that there is a logo or image burned into the glass... like those crystal cubes you can buy at most malls.... So that when you look at it, its just plain white, but you can have LEDs along the outer edges of the window lighting it up.. so that the logo glows. I am pulling up a blank for the right terms.. But you see this kinda think all the time in most glass windows... I most recently saw this implemented in my local HARDEES restraunt, where they had a mini fridge stocked with MONSTER ENERGY DRINKS , and the monster logo was lit up in the glass, the small bright LEDS hidden behind the molding of the glass...Something like that...

Anyway, I hope that makes sense, but as far as my question, I assume that this is a common thing to do, so where would I go to have someone do the etching? I would assume they would use some sort of laser machine, like a CNC machine to "draw" the image into the glass...Either that or somehow carve it into the surface.. Not sure how its done...Anyone do this for their mods and can recommend someone to commission this sort of job from? I am fairly certain it is hard for someone to DIY yourself for a light up etching...Oh... and does it have to be glass, or can it be acylic.. or whatever plastic like material some case windows are done in?

Clear Coat

usually the case windows in computers are acrylic or lexan or plexiglass or any variation of plastics. They all have their individual strengths and weaknessses. A lot of people end up using a dremel with an engraving bit to hand etch the windows the with design, then some people use a laser for more precise results. It all depends on what you have access to (and how much money you're willing to spend.

you can also use a vinyl window etch material that is available and sign shops.

Primered

yea, I remember the paste stuff...some sort of acid stuff...did that back in highschool in art class...heh..did a logo for my old clan in tribes 2....great game...did it on a square foot mirror. I wonder though if something on the surface like that will catch the light and glow good....vs a laser that goes deeper?

Thread Information