Thread: Stock RAM heatspreader vs after market?

Primered

Stock RAM heatspreader vs after market?

Heya.. new question. If it isnt obvious by now, I am planning my first true custom built pc, and am going to get extra bells and whistles and make it a mod to be proud of. Now.. Todays question is.. Is it worth it to get a high performance stick of ram that has its own heatspreader/heatsink, such as the corsair memory that is advertised in the banner above? Does the extra cost of a memory stick from a brand name such as corsair, with a decent looking heat spreader outweigh the cost of getting another brand of memory with a lesser type of heat speader, only to remove it and install a third party one? I have looked at two, one that clips on and has heat pipes leading to a small heatsink above it, as well as a thin vertical one that was said to lower the temp vs a basic built in heat spreader by over 32 degrees...

Anyway, anyone wanna throw their experiences and opinions on cooling their memory in their pcs? I am currently thinking I will use OCZ's memory, their lower tier of ddr3 that comes with a flimsy looking heatspreader, taking it off and putting on a larger one.. Links:

OCZ Obsidian 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

XIGMATEK dragoon-n422 Aluminum alloy HDT family cooler for RAM module

Arctic Cooling "Arctic RC" - Thermodynamic RAM Cooler for Enthusiasts

Clear Coat

Well I've definitely had success with the DHX series of ram (same heatsinks/spreaders as Dominator series) over the smaller type (like the OCZ modules you linked to. No idea about the aftermarket products you mention -- but I would be wary of voiding warranties on RAM. I would be more likely to get good heatsinked ram (often higher performance anyway) and then just clip on a custom fan cage to it.

I don't often hear about ram failure, but for some reason, I'm protective of my RAM warranty in a way that I'm not with video cards and power supplies and such.

Primered

Hmmm as far as ram warranty...I never thought about it, wonder if removing those flimsy looking heat spreaders would void that. Thing is, I dont think a clip on heatsink like the ones I linked would fit over it. Also, cooling your ram is key. If it gets too hot, things start to fail. you can notice this most on a gaming laptop, ram gets really hot, you noticed anywhere from a severe drop on FPS(might be caused by gpu as well) But if you get hot enough, windows will lock.. or even fail as far as a BSOD. I plan to overclock and keep my computer around longer at the same time. since they dont sell 2GB sticks and above without heatspreaders(that I could find) I would have to buy ones that come with and see if I can fit one over, or remove it completely.. which is the better choice, since you want the best contact from chip to heat spreader.

Clear Coat

Oh! Fail grammar! I didn't mean physically on top of, I mean they were better at cooling ram compared to the flimsy type.

I know what hot ram can do for you, I had bare modules cooking in my case until they fried a couple build revisions ago.

Primered

Do for me? Lol I dont want the ram to be hot. I havent gotten around to looking it up on wiki, but since everyone is worried about heat, and the hotter the ram the lower the overclock...All that leads me to believe hot ram = baaad.

OC'd or high output GPU & RAM in laptops has never made sense.
    Heat is the number one killer for ANY computer and compounding that proven fact is compacting everything into a 1.5"-2" thick format with often times, underpowered cooling, let alone the bare minimal footprint to begin with.

As to your original question, I've used both in DDR1 so that's all I can reference but should be similar. Factory heatspreaders as well as aftermarket are essentially identical and there really wasn't much if any difference tempwise. If you are however worried about cooling I would go with what Fus said and use a cooling fan specifically designed for your type of RAM. If you have to remove the heatspreaders then it is what it is. I would however put the covers aside in the event you ever had to send the RAM back. Normally you can use a small piece of double sided tape to hold things together fairly well. In some brands that's all that is used anyhow.

RAM warranty? I've never had any issues including having to return some to the OEM despite the fact it was purchased used from EBay. I don't make that a habit but in some instances (customer's cases) I don't always have a choice. I've sold several thousand dollars worth of RAM for several manufacturers so it's never been an issue.

Hot anything inside your computer isn't good. The cooler the better. Heck you can even go the route of water cooling if you want to (desktop).

Thread Information