Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Watchmen Case - COMPLETED

Watchmen Case - COMPLETED

This will be my second mod. It will be much more involved than my previous project. I will be using an old Dell Dimension case that my soon-to-be wife bought in college. I've given it some upgrades over the years (more RAM, better CPU), but it's time for this old dog to get an extreme makeover, geek-style! I'm going for an over-all Watchmen theme, inspired by the Graphic Novel/Film.
    My plans are as follows:
    -Add a second hard drive
    -Replace rear fan grill
    -Have a back-lit cutout of Rorschach's logo on the top of the box
    -Add some vent holes and windows to the side panels
    -Paint the inside black and the outside black/yellow
    -Add feet
    -And anything else that I think of on-the-fly.

All stripped down and ready to meet my Dremel!

The front panel. There will be a button just like the one The Comedian wore where the Dell logo used to be...

The chassis...

This part may end up being the center piece of the whole mod. It's not going to be an easy cut.... patience will be key.

A "before" shot of the side panel. "Before" I go at it with a drill and Dremel!

I've removed the fan grill with my Dremel. I've looked at a few sites that offer fan grills (including MNPCTech), but it's difficult to find them in 92mm sizes.

I will be working on this case for the next few months and I hope to have it completed by the end of the year. However, old man winter is starting to peek his head out here in Portland, OR. So if it gets to cold to lay paint, I may have to wait until spring to finish. That will give me all winter to nit-pick it.

After a few days of cutting, filing and sanding, the left side panel is ready for paint-prep...

I'm going to start cutting out Rorschach's signature next. Stay tuned...

Quick Update:

I got the Rorschach logo cut out yesterday.

Before filing...

After filing...

More to come soon.....

Primered

You entering the mod contest at PDXLAN 15? The best modders in teh NW go to PDXLAN (in fact we have more CPU Mag covers than any other organized group of modders I bet).

Hmmm... I hadn't thought of it. I'll look into it. I'm not sure if it will be done by then. I'm afraid that winter will come before I get paint on it. I'm thinking of having it sandblasted to speed up the process a little. I'll have to look around town for someone who has the equipment. Any suggestions?

I stopped by the hardware store today and picked up some aluminum gutter-cover mesh and made the fan grill for the side panel.

I test fit it with a fan and it all lined up surprisingly well!

It's coming along pretty good so far. I have to order some parts (lights, plexi, etc) before I can go much further. I will use this time to go back over and smooth-out what I've done so far and also to find a sandblaster.

Primered

Hmmm... I hadn't thought of it. I'll look into it. I'm not sure if it will be done by then. I'm afraid that winter will come before I get paint on it. I'm thinking of having it sandblasted to speed up the process a little. I'll have to look around town for someone who has the equipment. Any suggestions?
    not off hand but you should post over at the PDXLAN forums. I am sure someone there will have a local source. let me know if you need help with tools

Clear Coat

Check your local auto body detailers -- they usually have one (or more) to speed prep time for small bits of trim and such.

Master Modder

pretty smooth looking mod you got going on! always thought the dell ones were bad...but you have managed to pulls this one past that, nice work man keep it up!

pretty smooth looking mod you got going on! always thought the dell ones were bad...but you have managed to pulls this one past that, nice work man keep it up!
    Thanks for the compliment, it means a lot.

Yeah, I like the challenge of "polishing a turd". I'm so sick of looking at that Dell purple-gray. I can't wait to get some "Watchmen" yellow on that aluminum. I want to attempt to get the most reflective finish possible and I've found a few tutorials on how to do so. It does seem like there are lots of slightly different approaches to a "mirror" finish, so I'm going to use bits from everywhere and just figure out what works best for me.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information