Thread: dual 4-pin PWM adapters?

Primered

dual 4-pin PWM adapters?

Got a question..Going with a dual PWN fan setup for my CPU tower... Is there a way to get both PWN 4 pin connecters on the fans into one PWM port? I am looking at getting the Cooler Master V10 cooler, bit of a monster size wise, but after reading many reviews, its usually rated at getting the best temps. It has two 120mm fans and each are wired into a single 4-pin pwm connecter, which connects to its own TEC. Each fan is rated at 90cfm, and have red LEDs. I want to swap them out for higher speed fans, frozen cpu has 150cfm fans that are PWM compatable. I can mount them obviously, but I dont know how I can get them connected.

Do I just cut and splice the wires?

Is there a pass through adapter or Y adapter? (So far only found 4-pins for the big atx style connectors)

Can you adapt any case fan for PWM controll? I.E. remove the large atx connector and replace with the small 4 pin type? I dont know much about what makes a PWM fan different from others, other then visually the plug is different.

dual 4-pin PWM adapters?

Is there a way to get both PWN 4 pin connecters on the fans into one PWM port?
    Purchase or make a Y adapter.

I am looking at getting the Cooler Master V10 cooler, bit of a monster size wise, but after reading many reviews, its usually rated at getting the best temps.
    The size and price kill it for most. If you plan on not doing any OCing the cooler will perform decently. If you plan to push the processor though, you will find that it doesn't do so good at higher heat levels.

My Review

It has two 120mm fans and each are wired into a single 4-pin pwm connecter, which connects to its own TEC. Each fan is rated at 90cfm, and have red LEDs. I want to swap them out for higher speed fans, frozen cpu has 150cfm fans that are PWM compatable. I can mount them obviously, but I dont know how I can get them connected.
    The two cooling fans though are wired together and only use one 4-pin fan connector. This might pose a little bit of a problem for those wanting to replace the stock fans with higher performing fans. It will take a little modification to allow them to draw power from the same connection. Just keep in mind that you will want to make sure you don't exceed the motherboards fan header specifications, or you might possibly damage it.
    Do I just cut and splice the wires?
    Could

Is there a pass through adapter or Y adapter? (So far only found 4-pins for the big atx style connectors)
    I am sure someone sells a Y-Adapter for the standard 3-pin and 4-pin fan connectors. The other connector you are talking about is called a Molex connector.

Can you adapt any case fan for PWM controll? I.E. remove the large atx connector and replace with the small 4 pin type? I dont know much about what makes a PWM fan different from others, other then visually the plug is different.
    NO. A PWM fan is different from a standard fan. If you want PWM operation, then buy PWM fans.

Primered

dual 4-pin PWM adapters?

I just got an email back from Cooler Master, saying that the latest versions of the V10 come with both fans actually being separately wired and connecting to a Y adapter themselves, so that its easier for their customers to buy replacement fans(officially) and even replace with aftermarket fans, such as the different colored R4 series. So i guess it will be the luck of the draw if I get one that allows me to replace the fans, if not the cooler master site actually sells both replacement fans with the newer wiring for about $8.

I am trying to find a good heatsink for high end overclocking for my i5 core, and doing some google searches I found two rating/review sites that reviewed many products, including alot of heatsinks. I was trying to find the best one, when reading their review on the Fenrir...the Prolimatech Megahalems, and a third one i forget, the v10 was rated in the top 3 in their comparison list in some, but also when they rated a different one and the v10 was showed in the comparison chart as well, it had the best temp of 52 degrees under load.. They said they were using lab like conditions for their testing, so that all the ratings were as accurate as possible.. But...I couldnt tell if they did well overclocking or not.

Any suggestions as to what the best performing cooler would be air wise for someone who wants to overclock with the core i7/i5 line? The Fenrir looks nice, but they havent released the newest revision (v2) yet.. which supports the i5 mounting system. Finally, I am thinking of also the Megahalems, but its usually on par with the top 5 but sometimes not the best...Just trying to get a feel at whats the best I can do.

The v10 has alot of size and visual flare to it, but when you look at the science of it, it looks like it would be an awesome performer, and when compared with getting a like performing heatsink and a set of heatsinks for your RAM, price wise it does actually compete...Especially now that Newegg is offering theirs for 99.99, 79.99 for openbox..which usually isnt a good sign for the customer satisfaction if they are returning it heheh.... Though I suspect they found out it wouldnt fit lol..

Clear Coat

dual 4-pin PWM adapters?

I've heard a couple mention that they would rather have the V8 for overclocking than the V10...

Primered

dual 4-pin PWM adapters?

Well bye bye v10. I am reeeealllyyy liking the look of the Fenrir...Heh, that would be cool for the guy who is making that Lobo project case..(the one based off of the wolf theme) hehe...

Too bad I dont have any idea as to when the core i5 version comes out. Their website even shows a cool color themed red and black one thats supposed to be for "christmas" Now if only I can get one of those with black and green hehe.

Hey TAZZ have you tested out the Prolimatech Megahalems heatsink? I have been reading some good customer reviews about it.. But no real comparisons. Found one and it wasnt the best but close to it, though it wasnt tested with two fans, only one, and it wasnt tested under overclocking conditions.

Thread Information