Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Considering Upgrading compy.

  1. #1

    Considering Upgrading compy.

    The Beast...
    current config.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    320GB SATA II 3GB 16MB 7200RPM HD
    2X2gig CORSAIR DDR2 6400 XM2 EXTREME w/ HEAT SPREADERS
    BLACK X-NEMESIS ALUM,MID TOWER/ELITE
    GREEN COLD CATHLON LIGHT
    BLACK LITEON 16X+- DVDRW ALL WRITE
    BLACK SONY 16X DVD
    24" IDE ROUND CABLE WITH 3 HEADS
    12-IN-ONE INTERNAL CARD READER
    COOLER MASTER LIQUID COOLING KIT
    BLACK SONY 1.44MB FLOPPY DRIVE
    Logitech MX518 Optical Mouse
    ABIT FATALITY AN9 32X NFCE SLI 590
    WINDOW XP MEDIA CENTER 2005 LICENSE
    PROFESSIONAL CABLE WIRING
    THERMALTAKE TOUGH POWER 600 WATT
    CL SB X-FI XTREME AUDIO RETAIL
    PNY XLR8 GEFORCE 8800GT 512MB
    PNY XLR8 GEFORCE 8800GT 512MB
    OEM AMD X2 5200 AM2 CPU
    running on Win XP Media Edition sp3 32 bit
    ---------------------------------------------------

    its getting old.. i know....

    im being given the oppertunity to upgrade a few things for christmas as long as its not TOO expensive....
    im thinking.. mobo and the processer.. being i know i cannot update one without the other.

    HAS to have SLI support.. but i have several concerns that i cant seen to find the answers too.

    Havign never.. changed a mobo or.. RECENT processer before.. im wondering the time frame.. and risk factors of doing the upgrade.

    ive replaced a P1 processer.. easy as cake.. but this one has freebie water cooling on it.. and i dont know ow ard it is to.. remove.

    Once its removed.. im not sure i want it back on as its so POORLY designed.. the valves for the hoses are sticking out the side and literally overlap 2 of te 4 ram slots on the mobo.. allowing me only to use 2 of the slots.. so i want that one gone.. but.. know the cpu needs some sort of cooling. im afraid that any new water coolling will just have te same problem.. not to mention ive heard ALOT of nightmare stories about setting up watercoolling.

    WHAT mobo should i get.. and what processer.. i dont want intell.. i want an amd..but they have been.. flawed as of recent generations.. and i HAVE to have Nvidia GPUs.. no exception here.. meaning that i need a mobo with SLI support.. which seems to be fewer and fewer these days.

  2. #2
    Clear Coat
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    878

    Considering Upgrading compy.

    Most of the newer watercooling blocks cost I have seen have hose connections that go up -- usually they take up less space than an air cooler.

    As for the CPU/mobo switch, it should take you no more than like 1-2 hours/ The most difficult part is getting your OS up and running again. I had some luck swapping out and the OS kept running (single core AMD -> single core AMD) but when I tried to upgrade to dual-core, I ended up having to reinstall my OS. You should plan on reinstalling windows, and think about upgrading to Win7 while you are at it.

    Quick search of newegg turns up maybe 10-15 decent looking SLi enabled AMD boards... 100-150 bucks gets you dual/tri SLi and AM2+/AM3 processor with DDR3.

  3. #3

    Considering Upgrading compy.

    i had to post prematurely.. granny alarm went off.

    other concerns are yes.. the OS.. thats a 150$+ addition.. and im worried about weather or not ill need a new PSU for the newer mobo and cpu or will the one i have hold out till i can afford to upgrade that before i get new GPUs.

    yeah ill be lucly to manage changing out JUSt those two... memory.. gpu.. psu.. all that will likly be far to much for the one go.. problem is.. i cant upgrade the computer UNLESS i upgrade the mobo and psu..
    so im hoping i can change out those two major components.. then casually upgrade the rest over time.. if i have to upgrade it all at once.. might as well just see it as a new computer purchase which.. yeah.. i dont have 2k lying around.

    ill be lucky to get 350$ for christmas.

  4. #4

    Considering Upgrading compy.

    :smile: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103694&Tpk=AMD%20Phenom %20II%20X2%20545%20Callisto%203.0GHz%202%20x%20512 KB%20L2 :smile: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130236 :smile: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125285

  5. #5

    Considering Upgrading compy.

    thanks for the info lone but that mobo doesent support DDR2.. meaning id be forced to buy all new memory as well.. and as i said id be lucky to get 300-350$.. so.. that 100+ for memory.. and 300+ for the gpus.. .. and another 150+ for te psu.. i cant afford all those upgrades right now.

  6. #6
    Clear Coat
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    878

    Considering Upgrading compy.

    I'd say your best bet right this second something like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131383

    It supports your current processor, memory AND graphics card, but you can upgrade to an AM3 processor now or later, and it lets you keep your frankly pretty good memory.

    Then later you can upgrade to a better motherboard and DDR3 memory at the same time.

    or, if you know for sure that you are upgrading the processor at the same time, you could go with
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131367
    which is 40-50 bucks cheaper than the above board, but doesnt support your current CPU.

  7. #7

    Considering Upgrading compy.

    thanks for the info lone but that mobo doesent support DDR2.. meaning id be forced to buy all new memory as well.. and as i said id be lucky to get 300-350$.. so.. that 100+ for memory.. and 300+ for the gpus.. .. and another 150+ for te psu.. i cant afford all those upgrades right now.
    Well,with LSI mobo,DDR3 is the best performance option at that price.DDR2 would have a tremendous disadvantage vs performance and value.if you don't have the money that's fine :smile: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131382 :smile: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131383

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Upgrading the Forums
    By Dewayne in forum Our Rules, Forums and Site Updates/Issues
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-17-2012, 10:41 AM
  2. Upgrading Question...
    By Taliesin in forum Everything Else
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-24-2006, 03:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •