Thread: Multple Questions, One Thread

Multple Questions, One Thread

1) How many LED's (3.2V's) can you have powered by a USB hub (without capacitors or anything of that sort)? (if I remember right, USB hubs put out ~5v, but want to make sure before I start doing project plans.)

2) Could case fans be powered off of a battery? (I looked at a couple of fans, and they said 12vDC, so I assume they can be, but I know it would take a battery, not a cell. As an add-on, 9v cells could be wired in parallel/series?)

3) Power switches are wired into the ground end of a circuit, right?

4) Could PS/2 be converted to USB?

5) I'm looking into painting my keyboard, sanding it would be a good idea in-order for the paint to hold better and look better, right?

I took basic electronics in HS, but that was 2yrs ago. I understand some things, but would love to get back into electronic work. Haha, I'll probably have thousands more questions as time goes on, so, please be patient if I ask dumb questions.

Clear Coat

So many questions!

LEDs... it really depends on what type... In a practical sense you are looking at a maximum of 5v and 100** mA . That means about 5 ultrabright LEDs fit comfortably.
    **( 500mA if your LEDs are the ABSOLUTELY only device pulling power out of that port/are hooked to an AC powered hub)

2) Short answer -> Yes
    Long Answer -> Why would you want to? The computer power supply is there for a reason... You could run 3 pairs of 9v batteries in series to drive two case fans pretty easily.

3) Not necessarily, depends on what circuit you are building etc etc etc, I usually prefer to attach them to the positive voltage side of my circuits.

4) Again, short answer: yes.
    Long answer -- converters that allow PS/2 keyboards and mice to connect to USB ports (IE in a laptop situation) are available, look to pay 15 bucks or so, USB to PS/2 converters are really just plug changers that change the shape of a USB port, the keyboard or mouse has to support them explicitly.

5) I'll let people who have had success with painting chime in on that.

haha, thanks again, Fusinfun...but, for PS/2 to USB conversion...i meant, DIY, haha (im a DIY kinda person...almost no matter what), like, cut the PS/2 connection and wire a USB

Clear Coat

That works, but only if the Keyboard/mouse was originally designed to do both (IE shipped with one of those little adapter dongles)

Thread Information