Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom wiring with switches?

Primered

Custom wiring with switches?

Hey, I am trying to do some wiring for a power controller for turning on/off the lighting in my case that I am getting, I want to use one of those "bulgin" or "vandal proof" style switches, found here, but I am not sure how to do the wiring for a simple two wire +/- setup. Where/how do I wire the two LED terminals so that it turns on when power is on for the device? I tried making one like this for my laptops power brick, I mounted two small case fans to its outer shell to vent heat, ,which keeps the older brick from shutting down from overheating when I play games.. I baught all the parts from radio shack, including a rheo dial so that I can controll the fan speed, but I couldnt figure out how to wire the switch so that the led gets power without bypassing the circuit in the switch. I think I am using the right terms here heh, but if you look at the link provided, they show it has 4 terminals on the switch. The one I dealt with had 3 i think...so.. I am lost now. Never took classes on this, basic electrictian or whatever.. I actually had an ooolldd Edmund Scientifics electronics kit for kids.. fun as hell...But yea... So.. Anyone know how I should do this?

im confused by what your trying to do, exactly...you want the LED Ring on the switch to be on, when it's toggled on? or you want the LED Ring to be on at all times? doubt i could help much but just to help clarify for the next guy

Primered

I dont want the switch LED to be on 24/7, On/switch is on Off/Switch off, like what you would have for the power indicator on the case. I think this switch has two modes for it since its a 4 prong.. I am just not sure what i wire the switch to so the led has independant power state...dont want to hook it up wrong and short something or burn out the switch.

I could be completely wrong on this, but I'd have to guess that you'd have to wire the LED- to the NC prong (middle prong when LED- is on right) and the LED+ to the C prong (bottom prong when LED- is on right). If you look at the picture of the wiring set-up for that switch you linked (if I'm reading the picture right), when the switch is pressed in (on), what's connected to the middle prong and bottom prong is on and what's connected to the top and bottom is off, while when the switch isn't pressed in (off) it's the opposite. That's how it seems to me, but, then again, first time I've really seen this kind of switch (and realized it, at least).

Edit: The LED is meant for voltage of 3.3vDC, 5vDC, and 12vDC, so not really sure if what you wanted to use it for would fry it. I guess if your using it as your PC power switch, it would do fine, but I wouldn't quote me on that or use me as a wikipedia source.

Primered

yea.. The reason why I asked is because I am not sure myself, and figured there are plenty of people here who have done this themselves... Looking at the many complicated setups I have seen. You can get these particular switches pre wired, but they are wired for use with motherboard headers, in a case power switch setup. I just want this as a on/off toggle for my case's lighting, could go with a simple un-lit rocker, or even a leet looking military toggle switch, but these switches look awesome, and is low profile so you dont have to worry breaking them off when moving or shipping.

Well, the LED lighting in your case runs off of 12v, right? As long as you don't short, you should be fine. And I'm pretty sure I'm onto something with what I said in first post, you could always just test it and as long as you don't put a short in it, it should be fine (since your just testing, you're not gonna leave it running for hours). That's how I'd personally set it up, and worse comes to worse, you're out however much you spent on it but gained the knowledge.

Primered

True. I have one of those universal wall adapters that have interchangable connector heads, and you can change the power output, perfect for this since I can hook it up externally and find which connection works lol. Pretty much what I did when I cut up and mounted fans to my laptops power brick. I baught it as a replacement for my Dell Inspiron e1705 that shorted when the head got damaged(common problem apparently) And this one is slightly higher in its output rating, got it bcause I put a higher end model GPU inside it, which was meant for another laptop model..anyway it must be old or something because it runs hot, and when it gets too hot its failsafe cuts power. Using the fans after 5 mins of use without them on, it blows hot air, but run it from the begining and the air remains cool.. Handy little mod I did.. when I dont have money to buy a newer(likely safer) laptop hehe. I feel proud since modding laptop hardware is hard to do since most of it is built in. hehehe...

haha, Yeah, always nice when you mod something or build something. Let me know what the testing turns out, I'm interested to know, now, haha.

Primered

I know I can always wait till I actually buy everything, but I want to know before hand IF I can do this, and secondly, what I would need before i buy everything.. Main reason is, I cant buy it yet, but am waiting for when the funds come in, and until then, I am occupying myself with "planning"

Ahh, ok, I thought you had the stuff, haha. Yeah, think ahead, work smarter not harder, all those sayings. Good luck with the planning, then, haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information