Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System Builders

System Builders

Can anyone purchace, and use a Microsoft OEM System Builder License?

Instead of building a system for someone (customer), and do it for your self?

Reason why I ask is because NewEgg has Win 7 System Bulder OS's for cheaper than regular. Why can't I purchase that if I wanted and build a new system for myslef and install OS?

System Builders

quick and easy....

Yes you can!

You will be breaking the EULA, but who doesn't... LOL

You can see the Windows 7 OEM pricing here and it is much cheaper.

I am looking at getting the Pro Version of the OEM as the Ulitimate, IMHO, is still not worth even the OEM price.

System Builders

Hey thanks Freak.

Plano, Texas

System Builders

You usually qualify for OEM licensing when you are purchasing hardware for a system. In some places, you buy a motherboard, that is all you have to do to qualify for a system builder's purchase.

You just have to be able to look like you are purchasing it for a system you are building, and normally surrounding the purchase wit h a couple components will allow you to do that.

That is how New Egg does it.

That is how Fry's Electronics does it.

And that is how you can do it!

System Builders

That's the only way I do it normally. However, with my wife enrolled in school I she got me software with a student discount which is unbelievable. So this time I didn't have to do that. Normally though I do it and don't worry about it.

System Builders

So, as long as I purchase some hardware that is somehow linked to MS and qualifies with the OS, then I should be fine. Right?

Clear Coat

System Builders

The hardware doesn't have to be linked to MS at all.

A lot of places used to sell the OEM licenses with a molex splitter cable to get around the hardware requirement. The strictest places say you have to buy the core of a system, so some combination of CPU/Mobo/PSU etc.

speaking of student discounts... Engineers get windows stuff for free at my campus. =D

System Builders

I do think that it depends on the retailer IF you have to buy another piece of hardware. I just went through newegg and placed it in my cart went through the steps and it said nothing about "buying" anything more to qualify for the OEM version.

System Builders

Hmmm. Thanks guys. You have me using my noodle now. OEM or Retail? Price says OEM, but moving OS to another or should I say updated system says Retail.

Question? Which would you do?

Clear Coat

System Builders

I bought OEM personally -- I never had any trouble moving it around systems (back in Win2k days) and the only one I bought since then is XP which has happily resided on the same piece of hardware since. Reinstalled 4-5 times with no trouble.

You can "Upgrade" over an OEM license, but in general I avoid upgrading at all possible. I would say just go OEM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information