Thread: Hard Drives and Power

Hard Drives and Power

So I had a few questions about hard drives. The first is related to internal sata drives. I have a few drives that probably wont be used very often, long term storage, but I want to have a drive inside the case. Is there any way to have a switch to power this off while the computer is on? You don’t get the safely remove or eject option you do with internal drives, so I was just wonder what the situation was there.

Also, if possible, would it change the situation if it were in a raid array, and the switch shut down the whole series of drives at once?

And lastly I've noticed many cases of sata power being powered by only two wires, a 12v and ground. Usually in mitx builds. As well as in the molex to sata power adapters you don’t get the orange wire. is there any reason having all the wires is better? Or does the 2 wire setup work just as well?

Clear Coat

Hard Drives and Power

I'm not sure why the adapters leave out the 3.3v (orange) wire -- perhaps its an option that lets the drive run more efficiently?

As for the power switch thing -- I get a "remove disk" option for my internal SATA drives... I'm not sure why. so in that case you would just be able to "remove disk" the drives and hook up a switch to the power connections on all the drives.

Hard Drives and Power

I'm not sure why the adapters leave out the 3.3v (orange) wire -- perhaps its an option that lets the drive run more efficiently?

As for the power switch thing -- I get a "remove disk" option for my internal SATA drives... I'm not sure why. so in that case you would just be able to "remove disk" the drives and hook up a switch to the power connections on all the drives.
    What OS are you on? I get that for all externals but no internal sata drives.

And thats exactly my question with the extra wires. Id love to know if it makes them more efficient or makes any sort of difference. On top of ditching the orange wire, I've used this mini psu

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/gp_87

And as you can see it only uses 2 wires! Only 12v and ground. Using only 2 would definitely help with adding switches, but if it makes them less efficient then it might be a bad idea.

Clear Coat

Hard Drives and Power

I'm running on Vista Ultimate (RED edition) 64bit. I have "Safely remove device" listed for my 500gb greenpower drive, and a 320 Maxtor -- both show up as "SCSI Disk Device" with a description of the drive letter(s) associated with them (3 partitions on the Maxtor, 1 on the GP)

Hard Drives and Power

I think your motherboard has to be "Hot Swap" capable for the hard drives in order to do what you are asking it to do. ;-)

Thread Information